Crate Safety - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Crate Safety

Anyone seen this. A bit sobering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ztYl_sCaoY

I was thinking about a variocrate before this... now I"m a lot closer to eating rice and cabbage for a couple months so I can afford one.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

It is strange they did not test a standard wire crate and a welded aluminum dog box.
I believe the variocrate is designed for a front to back orientation in an SUV.
I put out $500 for aluminum dog box (welded) when my dog's paw slid through the pan opening for a wire crate as we parked on a hillside. It took 3 of us to extricate him and that was with him NOT panicking (he was good that way when he was hurt)

For my own dog box with vertical bars, I lined them with 1/4" hardware cloth to keep paws and legs from sliding through (which is a concern I would have with the variocage)

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yeah, I have a wire crate in the back of my Subaru. I did that because it has the side entrance and that works in the back. But I'm pretty certain after seeing this video, a wire crate would potentially be more dangerous in an accident than nothing.

Wish I could find someone with a variocage.

Karin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The only wire crate I would consider is the old kennel aire commander that is no longer manufactured. 1" x 1" heavy wire, not a folding crate. There are stories of that one surviving major crashes and rollovers. For an SUV I would strongly consider the variocage. While you are saving, I put a gazillion zip ties on my wire crates to add to rigidity because I had concerns about those things. Each one has a 75lb break point and I had them at every connection and also used clips on the doors.

Then, as you are on a search hanging on for dear life with your dog in your lap on a gator careening down a mountside and hitting trees and skidding........or riding in the open bed of a pickup . [I know, short distances and the many miles are put in the vehicle--my crates are strong and secured, too] In an SUV I would want the added ventilation of a more open crate. The variocage was not readily available in the states when I got my aluminum boxes.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The only wire crate I would consider is the old kennel aire commander that is no longer manufactured. 1" x 1" heavy wire, not a folding crate. There are stories of that one surviving major crashes and rollovers. For an SUV I would strongly consider the variocage. While you are saving, I put a gazillion zip ties on my wire crates to add to rigidity because I had concerns about those things. Each one has a 75lb break point and I had them at every connection and also used clips on the doors.

Then, as you are on a search hanging on for dear life with your dog in your lap on a gator careening down a mountside and hitting trees and skidding........or riding in the open bed of a pickup . [I know, short distances and the many miles are put in the vehicle--my crates are strong and secured, too] In an SUV I would want the added ventilation of a more open crate. The variocage was not readily available in the states when I got my aluminum boxes.
LOL... but true.

Karin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:40 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I have a basic Midwest wire crate in my SUV. I have had a rollover with the dog in the car. He was perfectly fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page