Feral hogs and dogs... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Feral hogs and dogs...

This probably sounds super paranoid, but I am hoping to hear from other people who have feral hog issues and dogs.

I've dispatched a few hogs out here and it just seems every one I put down (yes we eat them and dispatch humanely, no animal deserves to suffer or be wasted) 10 more show up. The sows constantly have piglets, and my game camera has showed a massive boar coming now... estimated around 300 lbs.

This is the first time I've had a pig problem, and I have had a large sow "warn" me when I walked up on her. They usually react skittishly but, not every time. It makes me wonder if it will ever be safe to let Brutus wander by himself. Clearly he is too little right now and way too much could happen to him, but eventually he needs to be able to walk his own property. My adult dog has zero interest and when she spots and animal larger than herself (coyotes, mostly) she backs off and heads for the house. But she is naturally cautious and always has been, even when she was his age. Everything is a big fun challenge to Brutus.

So to wrap this rambling post up, how do your dogs coexist with hogs? Has anyone's dog (who isn't a catch dog, obviously) tangled with a pig? Was the dog okay? They're such a nuisance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Elite Member

Keep your dog away. Those tusks will seriously injured them. Most pig dogs wear protection.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Keep your dog away. Those tusks will seriously injured them. Most pig dogs wear protection.
Yep, the hog dogs we know all wear Kevlar reinforced collars/vests and are usually pit bull breeds, very athletic and tenacious. Even that won't stop them from getting hurt sometimes. There is no way in heck I would encourage my GSD to approach a hog much less act as a catch or even bay dog. I am wondering how to teach him to stay away from them and not go running in. He already loves to chase, pounce, and stalk.

I have a hog trap, though thus far they've managed to steer clear of it If one does eventually get hung up in there, would it be a good thing to take him next to the trap and try to get him to understand to avoid it, or would that just make him more liable to approach one NOT trapped later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Crowned Member

Are you not concerned about your dog getting trapped?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone'sMamma View Post
This probably sounds super paranoid, but I am hoping to hear from other people who have feral hog issues and dogs.

I've dispatched a few hogs out here and it just seems every one I put down (yes we eat them and dispatch humanely, no animal deserves to suffer or be wasted) 10 more show up. The sows constantly have piglets, and my game camera has showed a massive boar coming now... estimated around 300 lbs.

This is the first time I've had a pig problem, and I have had a large sow "warn" me when I walked up on her. They usually react skittishly but, not every time. It makes me wonder if it will ever be safe to let Brutus wander by himself. Clearly he is too little right now and way too much could happen to him, but eventually he needs to be able to walk his own property. My adult dog has zero interest and when she spots and animal larger than herself (coyotes, mostly) she backs off and heads for the house. But she is naturally cautious and always has been, even when she was his age. Everything is a big fun challenge to Brutus.

So to wrap this rambling post up, how do your dogs coexist with hogs? Has anyone's dog (who isn't a catch dog, obviously) tangled with a pig? Was the dog okay? They're such a nuisance!
Neither the Havalina or the wild pigs are good news. They will tear your dog up! I was in the middle of a 35,000 farm/ranch/oil homestead when a Boar & Sow approached our 5 dogs....Wolf/Shepherd..Strat/Shepherd...130lb Husky..Irish Setter...Doberman.

They came sauntering up the road and parked their buts in front of our propane tank. The male, female and piglets formed a defensive circle with the dogs charging on all sides. They wanted the dry dog food that was in pans by the back door. Dogs didn't mean jack to them....

The Male was huge. After a valiant fight the dogs gave up and were screaming to get in the house. We opened the back door and a couple at a time flew in before we had so close it because the boar was right there. We finally got them all in and a tracker came the next day. From the prints he took in the dry soil of the barn - he said the boar was close to 800 lbs....

They tracked him and got him about 10 days later.

My Wolf/Shepherd was gored by a Havalina in the neck in Ricardo, TX. Just missed his jugular according to the vet. Nasty, nasty infection from the Havalina tusk - he was on IV treatment (antibiotics) for three days at the vet.

DONT mess with either the wild pig or havalina. They will kill your dog. Your bullet has to be fast and accurate in an encounter and your dog has to have rock solid recall...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Stonevintage, oh man! Those are the exact sorts of things I worry about! I am so glad your dogs were okay. It is amazing how brazen the pigs can be. And you never really know when they're going to act that way vs. just taking off. They're strange and unpredictable. The food being the attractant makes sense, though. They'll stand out there all night ramming the deer's protein feeder with their snouts and go through a ridiculous amount. We really need to low fence that, but that's an entirely non-dog related rant

I always have at least one firearm with me out here because there are so many pigs, snakes, etc. and while there is about a 1 in a million chance that the mountain lion who lives here actually showed up on anything but a game camera, I would rather not be defenseless. Brutus is already completely fine with gunfire. He just sits next to me like "Oh boy, is this fun!" (Of course I am extremely careful to know exactly where he is at before sending a round downrange)

We definitely need to start a solid recall. He's doing good with it, but ya know. He's got the attention span of an eggplant right now, haha.

When he is an adult he will be free to wander around some by himself. I wonder if aversion training is appropriate?

Gatorbytes, Nah, even if he did wander in there, it's a live trap. The door would just shut and he'd basically be in a giant kennel. I wouldn't leave me dog out of sight for long enough for him to heat stroke in it, I would be looking for him before that (plus it is shaded in cedar) I don't use snares or leg traps for this exact reason!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Banned

I don't know the answer. Have been reading about how bad things have gotten down there with the wild pigs.

From what I experienced, I wouldn't walk 1/4 mile down there without at least 3 dogs. They will go into pack formation to run and draw if they get into an encounter - time for you to arm yourself and take care of the threat.

If you just have one dog, and they get broadsided, there's little hope (like when the crops are up). I wouldn't want to live like that. This is the day of modern technology - do they have invisible fences that can detect something larger than a raccoon your perimeters? Could you consider maybe adopting a couple of rural savvy dogs?

The snakes didn't bother me that much, it was the dang wild pigs - they are like the PBulls of the pig world.... they don't care!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
I don't know the answer. Have been reading about how bad things have gotten down there with the wild pigs.

From what I experienced, I wouldn't walk 1/4 mile down there without at least 3 dogs. They will go into pack formation to run and draw if they get into an encounter - time for you to arm yourself and take care of the threat.

If you just have one dog, and they get broadsided, there's little hope (like when the crops are up). I wouldn't want to live like that. This is the day of modern technology - do they have invisible fences that can detect something larger than a raccoon your perimeters? Could you consider maybe adopting a couple of rural savvy dogs?

The snakes didn't bother me that much, it was the dang wild pigs - they are like the PBulls of the pig world.... they don't care!
It really is a terrible problem. They tear through everything and are such prolific breeders. They're constantly causing accidents on the roads here too. They're also huge vectors of parasites. The last one I shot was so covered up in fleas it was nauseating! At LEAST a full cup of fleas just on what I saw on his belly in the dark with a flashlight

They do have game cameras that will send pics/alert to your phone when there is movement, but 1) We don't get cell service out here, which is a blessing and a curse and 2) those are some really expensive set ups. I recently left my decent paying job to go to college full time, and while we are making it fine on my fiancés salary, there isn't too much left over.

Adopting a couple dogs brings more financial stress, but I suppose if they were fixed, had shots, chipped, and were good hardy mutts it would be possible. They'd have to be adults that wanted to be outside almost all the time though. I have already promised the old man that he can get his dream dog (a female bluetick coonhound) when Brutus is at least 1.5 years, so 3 dogs in the house eventually is about the most we could do lol. Do you remember the Bumpus family from "A Christmas Story"? It would be hard for me to shift my view of them into more of a utility animal than a house pet. I think I would always feel bad for them for not getting the same things the inside dogs did, or if they got fed a cheaper diet or whatever. and at least for us, it wouldn't really be possible to treat them all the same or devote the same energy to them.

Do you know how physical aversion training is? It seems really smart, but I don't want my dog getting smacked or yelled at. I'm not sure if they use an E-collar (which I am scared of anyway...) or strike the dog? String the dog up with a choke chain? I just can't think of a way that it isn't really intense. However they do it, I know it is for long term benefits, but I am very weary of +P.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone'sMamma View Post

E-Collar and "Behavior Modification Protocol" I would imagine, it would be the same as "Rattle Snake aversion." Find a trainer skilled in the use of an E-Collar.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
E-Collar and "Behavior Modification Protocol" I would imagine, it would be the same as "Rattle Snake aversion." Find a trainer skilled in the use of an E-Collar.
Have you ever had an E-Collar trained dog or known one? I hear so many mixed reviews! Some people say it works great, some say it makes a dog into a basket case, and others say it's how you use it (A former K9 handler I spoke with about E-Collars was of that mindset... Use it too much, you end up with a dog afraid of his own shadow.)

There are really strong opinions on it on both sides. I suppose I have to consider the pros/cons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page