Question for vet techs and vets - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Question for vet techs and vets

I have seen a couple of threads about muzzling dogs for vet visits. I wonder if vet techs and vets would prefer if all dogs were muzzled on visits? If you are a tech or vet please share your opinions. I have never been asked to muzzle a dog but I would not be offended if a vet asked me to. Next time I am at the vet should I ask if they prefer to muzzle my dog? Would that make it easier for the vet and tech?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Crowned Member

Not either one of those. But Seger needed his eye checked last week. My vet held his muzzle, a couple inches from his own face, and looked in his eyes. I laughed and said "isn't he great?"

We had one dog that we muzzled. But once we switched vets, they stopped muzzling her and there was never and issue.

In my experience, if the vet or tech is unsure, they will ask you to muzzle. If you know your dog is aggressive, then you should ask for one or bring your own when walking thru the door.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Not either one of those. But Seger needed his eye checked last week. My vet held his muzzle, a couple inches from his own face, and looked in his eyes. I laughed and said "isn't he great?"

We had one dog that we muzzled. But once we switched vets, they stopped muzzling her and there was never and issue.

In my experience, if the vet or tech is unsure, they will ask you to muzzle. If you know your dog is aggressive, then you should ask for one or bring your own when walking thru the door.
I am not concerned. Ranger went to the vet for an ear infection and he sat still while the vet dug in his ear to get a sample of the goop. He has a very good temperament. i just want to know what people who work in vet clinics would prefer. I am thinking that perhaps they don't ask people to muzzle their dogs more often because they don't want to offend people and lose business, but maybe if you took the people out of the equation they would prefer a muzzle on every dog. My vet did not seem at all concerned when he dug in my unmuzzled dogs infected ear but maybe he just considers it a risk of the job. People are so easily offended when it comes to their pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

Interesting question. IME, if they want a dog muzzled, they ask or the client can leave. Dog bites hurt and take forever to heal.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

Not a vet or a tech.

I take the other route, I muzzle all my dogs for vet visits. Standard practice for me. Sabs vet would come in and remove her muzzle, give her a kiss on her forehead and tell her that she was too pretty to have 'that thing' on her face, lol.
If they are comfortable removing the muzzle then it's on them. I have found that the techs and the vets are more relaxed and better able to focus on exams if the dogs are muzzled.
If you have a good relationship with a regular vet, I would let them make the decision. I just prefer to err on the side of caution.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I will let a client know if I plan on using a muzzle. Usually with the sentence "Mr Fluffy pants seems a bit nervous/protective, so I am going to grab a party hat just in case. "

If a client thinks a dog may bite, I LOVE it when they tell me upfront. "Y'all are going to want to muzzle him"

If a tech or Dr asks you, "is he ok, or should we get a muzzle?" Answer honestly. They wouldn't ask if they were comfortable, 100% about your dog. And then you can always say, "he's always been fine, but if it makes you more comfortable..."

I personally prefer to NOT use a muzzle. But I will use to protect me and the vet. Sometimes, if my Dr has to get in the face of the dog for something, I will quickly wrap the leash around the muzzle for that part only. Gives us just enough time to get stuff done and get out of the way if things go south.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

gsdsar - have you ever had a client refuse?

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

Both sides of it. When I worked at a vet we did request it if needed, but it wasn't often. The downside of having client do it is that if they don't do it right the muzzle can be removed by dog., we had a huge aggressive GSD this happened with and it was really dangerous. As a dog owner I tell them to muzzle my senior dog, but the rest are fine. If I thought they would bite I would tell them to muzzle.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Knighted Member

My dog has never needed one, but it would not occur to me to refuse if the vet or tech felt more comfortable using it. I trust my vet to be gentle in putting it on, and if that's a tool they need to provide her with the best possible care, I'm okay with that.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I will let a client know if I plan on using a muzzle. Usually with the sentence "Mr Fluffy pants seems a bit nervous/protective, so I am going to grab a party hat just in case. "

If a client thinks a dog may bite, I LOVE it when they tell me upfront. "Y'all are going to want to muzzle him"

If a tech or Dr asks you, "is he ok, or should we get a muzzle?" Answer honestly. They wouldn't ask if they were comfortable, 100% about your dog. And then you can always say, "he's always been fine, but if it makes you more comfortable..."

I personally prefer to NOT use a muzzle. But I will use to protect me and the vet. Sometimes, if my Dr has to get in the face of the dog for something, I will quickly wrap the leash around the muzzle for that part only. Gives us just enough time to get stuff done and get out of the way if things go south.
Thanks for your answer and if you don't mind could you explain why you prefer not to use a muzzle? I guess i am wondering if a muzzle sometimes makes a dog more aggressive since they may feel vulnerable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page