Understanding giardia and parvo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Understanding giardia and parvo

Some breeders have told me that other breeders (their competitors) have giardia and parvo issues.

I won't mention their names but am interested to know if these issues are 'permanent' or tend to be transient, meaning they're remedied.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

Giardia is easily treated with Panacur. It's not permanent.

Parvo is often fatal, with few pups surviving. It hits pups fast and hard. Survival typically requires round-the-clock supportive care in a vet ICU, costing several thousand dollars.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Knighted Member

Our dog's breeder did have issues with Giardia, I believe it was from his water source. I'm 95% sure our dog contracted giardia from the breeder's property. I met someone who had a pup from them and told me his dog had giardia, although it really did not have major symptoms, diagnosed during an exam. He told me to have my pup tested and sure enough, she had giardia too. Our vet said she was not likely to get it in the areas I normally had taken her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Crowned Member

Giardia is easy to treat. Our vet automatically tests for it with a new dog. They get parvo sometimes from visitors who travel from one kennel to another without a break. It's unfair to a breeder to visit more than one kennel every two days when looking at puppies. Once it's in the soil, it's very difficult to get rid of, too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

Parvo is very scary. It can live on surfaces with no host for up to 2 years I have heard. So a breeder with the problem is likely to have it reoccur. I think 6 months outside.

You can clean all surfaces with bleach, and let it sit and clean it off, and that will kill it, but, it seems like people have it reoccur.

I don't know. I think, if I thought someone had a parvo issue, I would pass on them. Maybe you can call the vet they use, and the trainer -- like ask the breeder you are thinking about using for the names of her veterinarian and her trainer. Give her a day to let them know they can talk about her to prospective buyers. Not sure if they will do this or not. But calling the vet and asking if they bring the puppies in for vaccinations, if they have their dogs vaccinated there, if they have had any issues with parvo... I wouldn't worry over much about giardia.

The trainer may be more willing to talk to you. It could be a friend of the breeder. But he/she should also be a professional. And I bring another puppy in, it will probably have the same fate.

It is nothing to mess around with.

Here's another thing. When people have dogs, it is easy to become overwhelmed. It happens fast. So someone keeps everyone UPT on shots, vet, grooming, etc, and takes dogs to training, and then Bam! Parent goes into the hospital, job loss, husband gets sick, and somehow 5 dogs are acquired in the course of a year, and suddenly, everything starts falling off. The trainer or vet may say wonderful things about someone, but if they haven't been to them in 2-3 years, things may have changed.

Kind of scary. Don't take parvo lightly. If someone does nothing else, they should be getting the rabies, and distemper/parvo shots ever 4-5 years at the largest interval. Most have it done every 3 years. Studies say they last 5-7 years. But they are killers.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

I have a friend who used to live on a lake that had a lot of ducks. Her dogs were always being treated for Giardia (she also got it a couple times). But when they moved to the mountains, no lakes or streams in the new area, they had no more problems.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback and helping me understand there is a significant difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page