Working Line Boxers! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Working Line Boxers!

Hi Chip,

Chip and I stumbled into the "working boxer" topic yesterday. I said they were rare because you just don't see many in bite sports or LE work....

I noticed a lady who is active on a IPO FB page with boxers and decided to look around more and see how/where working boxers are doing!

They aren't my cup of tea (being bred with too much of brachycephalic type head for me...)

BUT...

They do exist, more so in Germany/Europe.

(note in Europe they don't dock tails, I think they look good with tails)

Here's an example of a dog with working titles in his background.

Megan von der Burg Singidunum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

"Working" is relevant to the breed. Boxer ancestors were originally bred for wild game hunts. Just because they are not prevalent in IPO, does not mean there are not "working" lines.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

True that.

So are they being tested in field trials? How are they keeping that heritage alive? I didn't look into that.

Chip do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
"Working" is relevant to the breed. Boxer ancestors were originally bred for wild game hunts. Just because they are not prevalent in IPO, does not mean there are not "working" lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Knighted Member

Where I herd there is a women who owns Boxer's, one of her Boxer's just won some herding trial and is the first and only Boxer in the country to do so. She also does IPO with them. I don't know much about Boxer's, I think they're kind of ugly not my cup of tea but nice working Boxer's are out there.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Banned

People are often casting aspiration at "our" dawgs! It's like water off a ducks back.

Struddell would have said don't worry be happy! That's how "we" roll!

Dig in a bit more in a bit.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Knighted Member

We are seeing the same trend in Rotties. Too many, especially in Europe, are aiming for that brachy type muzzle despite the standard calling for a 2:3 ration of muzzle to skull.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

yeah well, I have showlines, see my avatar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
People are often casting aspiration at "our" dawgs! It's like water off a ducks back.

Struddell would have said don't worry be happy! That's how "we" roll!

Dig in a bit more in a bit.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ugh not the rotties too!

My understanding (and this is admittedly just from chit-chat with IPO folks so not the end all be all opinion) brachy type dogs can't get nice full deep bites. Which makes sense given the shorter muzzles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
We are seeing the same trend in Rotties. Too many, especially in Europe, are aiming for that brachy type muzzle despite the standard calling for a 2:3 ration of muzzle to skull.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair View Post
Ugh not the rotties too!

My understanding (and this is admittedly just from chit-chat with IPO folks so not the end all be all opinion) brachy type dogs can't get nice full deep bites. Which makes sense given the shorter muzzles.
Cliff vom Grand Kevin, did have some teeth problem most likely because of the shorter muzzle and broader head??

I will grant that it would be a poor choice in my view for breeders" to start screwing around with "Roddies" trying to make them look like Boxers and or Johnson American Bull Dogs!

I've been around Rots my whole life very nice dogs, lots of personality but I've never had one because to me they just look like "boring" Boxers.

"Brachycephalic type head" is not a bad thing for "us" it's in fact part of the charm! And the fact that "Branchies" don't do well in high heat is well established "lore." But I know of two American Line Boxers that don't appear to have a problem with high heat. One is an American Line catch dog in Louisiana!

That dog is on YouTube but I don't have link. We had a (former) member come on BoxerForum asking us about doing that ... it did not go over to well!

And the other high heat Boxer, American line that I know of, well ... that would be ...my girl!

High heat in the NV, desert chasing Rabbits all day! She never stropped moving!

Jack rabbits would blow by my American Band Dawg like he was standing still (he moved like a dump truck) but if they took the same trajectory in front of Struddell ...it was game on!

They would try and burn her out on the straights and that would "never" work, she was always hot on there heels! Then the JR would take a hard right into the brush and immediately back on the straight! That would "always" work!

She never caught one but it was not for lack of trying. I'd watch Struddell rapidly running back and forth trying to pick up the trail and I'd watch the rabbit sail rapidly down the straight! Strategy was not really her thing ... speed was!

The American Line dogs in my view are vastly more capable than people give them credit for and nope, you won't find them in IPO or LE for the most part. And the main argument is they don't have the drives or temperment ?? Maybe so I don't know?? But I'm pretty sure a better explanation is most "serious" dog people don't have the time or patience to find the right dog and get'er done!

A book I read on Boxer's said when they arrived on American shores at the end of WW TWO "it was felt that the dogs were to ferocious to be let lose on the American Public" so they set about taming them.

And thus we have the American Line Boxers, in my view "they " did just fine!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Elite Member

Boxers are awesome dogs, they are smart and very capable. But they also have a sense if humour to them. Strong athletic and loyal. Energy for days on end. https://youtu.be/9UnRyxg4Dcs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page