1 or 2 German Shepherds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

1 or 2 German Shepherds?

I have a 4 month old puppy, and I was thinking about getting another when he is 6 months.

Most people I know, or have seen have two GSD's or more... do they do better in a pair or on their own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 PM

I would wait.

Our white girl-Nala born 8/24/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP 11/2013 our first pup Shatzi
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

I think Nara did better by herself, and I was able to dedicate a lot more time to her. Now we have 4 dogs (2 of which are GSDs) and I can look into her eyes and know she is saddened by the lack of love she receives. Instead of getting 100% of my time, focus, attention and love, now she gets 25%. Yes, she has come canine companions to keep her company, but I feel the only thing she cares about is MY companionship. My wife wants us to be a 1-dog family once these guys all go. I'm still undecided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:10 PM

I think it is wise to wait until the first one is at least a year old. That way you have the bonding time PLUS the training time to have him/her where they should be. Really waiting until he/she is 2 years old would be better. If you get more the one when they are young, they bond more with each other. Some people say that is what they want them to do is bond with each other. That to me says you don't have the time and maybe don't really need even the one. JMO I hope this helps.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter View Post
I think Nara did better by herself, and I was able to dedicate a lot more time to her. Now we have 4 dogs (2 of which are GSDs) and I can look into her eyes and know she is saddened by the lack of love she receives. Instead of getting 100% of my time, focus, attention and love, now she gets 25%. Yes, she has come canine companions to keep her company, but I feel the only thing she cares about is MY companionship. My wife wants us to be a 1-dog family once these guys all go. I'm still undecided.
Sadly that can happen with the first dog when a second or more dogs are brought in after it has been used to being an only dog for so long. It is something to consider before waiting too long to bring home another dog.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

I have several dogs, 3 of them are GSDs(4 yrs-3yrs-1yr) and I make time for them. I never turn them away when they want to cuddle or bring me a ball. I spend lots of one on one time with them and they rotate sleeping with me. It works well in our house. I find something they each enjoy specefic to them and we do it, whether it's taking a walk, hike, swimming or agility etc. this applies to all of them, not just the GSDs.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 10-20-2015 at 02:20 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Elite Member

I would wait till they are at least a year old, that way you can give them a very strong foundation giving them 100% of your time. Having a 6 month old pup and a 8 week old pup will be very hard on you! That would be my suggestion.
As for the multiple dogs.. I think it depends on the owner and dog. I feel very torn on it myself. Zelda loves other dogs, but i think our relationship with take a step back if i got another dog, but maybe it would be worth it, especially if i got a dog from a kill shelter or something, that i could save and than Zelda has a buddy when i am at work, etc.
But i know dog people who have more than four dogs, and their dogs are all very happy and just love no other like they do their owner!
So maybe with time, you can figure out how much your dog depends on you, likes other dogs, if you still feel the same way in a year, etc.
More money, more food, more vet bills, more time.
When your gone, they have a each other, that is if they get along You can give not just one dog a good home, but two dogs a good home.
Plenty of negative and positive.
It boils down to individually what is best for you, your dog and your current situation.

Mom of: "Zelda"

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Knighted Member

I have two. They aren't buddies. They don't love each other, or even play with each other. Don't get me wrong, they don't fight or hate each other. They get along fine. My female is older but has never been the type of dog who enjoys playing with other dogs. Both of them would be just as happy being the only dog. They just want ME. That said, I like having two. But it's for ME, not for them.

I would also wait until your puppy is older and trained (probably around 2 yrs). Two puppies would be a lot to manage.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

I will add that mine are buddies and will play with each other all day long. I have one dog that I think would do well as an only dog, but the rest love having each other. Even saying that they still are more bonded to me then each other. We as a "family" unit have a very strong bond.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

I like being a single dog household. I can give that dog more attention, I have time for something else. I presently have two. I got the second one when the first was 4. When she was 1, I got an older guy. I think it would have been better if I had continued to concentrate on her. After she died, I got the youngster. (not exactly my idea but it has worked out fine - except for I don't really get much done but mess with dogs.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page