Thoughts on Hexen

Please take a look at Hexen and tell me what everyone thinks

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/33535432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

" my ideal family would include someone who can be with me during the day"

" I like to be with my family all the time. I hope that my new family will have someone who is able to spend time with me during both the day and night, so that I’m not lonely all day just waiting for them to come home."

JMO. but those two statements lead me to believe that either this dog has serious separation anxiety or unless you have somebody home all day, this rescue is going to be tough to adopt from even if you meet that criteria.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Yup. Sounds like separation anxiety being glossed over to make her sound better for adoption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Those are good thoughts. I didn't even think about that. My husband is home all day because he works nights and then we switch. I will talk to the foster mom tomorrow about him. We have already been approved by the rescue, but we want to find a good match for our family as well. I am in no rush
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackson0902 View Post
Those are good thoughts. I didn't even think about that. My husband is home all day because he works nights and then we switch. I will talk to the foster mom tomorrow about him. We have already been approved by the rescue, but we want to find a good match for our family as well. I am in no rush
I am an honest person, and if I agree to a contract, it is what it is. I found this part of their contract disturbing: " This dog will be kept on a leash at all times when outside of a securely fenced-in area." I could never uphold this contract and would not adopt from this rescue.

Think about what that means if you ever go hiking, camping, to a friend's cabin, etc. A dog adopted from this shelter can never be off leash or unfenced and would have to watch any other dogs with you and your friends run at full speed, swim, chase squirrels, while your dog languishes on a chain watching. Even if there were no other dogs, your dog would not have the privilege to run and play with his family without tripping on a leash. Is this something you would want for your dog?

Do you have a yard big enough for your dog to actually get up to a full speed run without having to come to a crashing stop or sharp turn? If you don't, your dog can never get up to a full run, and German Shepherds love to run.

I understand why the rescue might have that as part of the contract, but IMO, it is not the best thing for the dog. A life well lived is better than a long life waiting to live.

Have you tried other rescues who are more dog friendly and less controlling?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 AM

Sorry, have to agree this might be dolled up language skirting the issue of separation anxiety. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but consider if you live close to neighbors the dog may scream and howl while training is taking place (and man, can SA take a looong time to work on) and you may have some real problems with it. I once fostered a little pit bull girl (medical/kennel cough, short term) with such bad SA that wasn't disclosed she tore through a kennel and proceeded to rip the carpet out down to the subfloor, ripped the blinds down, ate the window trim off, ripped the frame off the lower door, and if you can believe it, even clawed paint off of the walls. I was gone for just a few hours. Tread lightly with a dog with SA, and go into it knowing it can be incredibly destructive.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM

Something else that concerns me is this line:
"I really like children that are older, as they know how to hug and pet me nicely, but will also play with me."

It may be nothing, but I would be concerned about this dog NOT good with small children. To me it sounds like she may get aggressive or play very rough. (Maybe both.) I don't know where you and your husband are in your life, or if that is a big deal, but it is not something I will deal with again after our current aggressive dog dies. It is too much to worry about all of the time, and anytime the dog is in public I have to worry, you never know what a small child will do simply because they aren't old enough to know better.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

Wish that rescues were more upfront in their description of dogs and not wrap it in a humanizing way. Read between the lines and I see a beautiful dog with separation anxiety who is not good with small children.
Other examples: wants to be the only dog, doesn't want to share his toys, loves to sit in your lap and give kisses all day (eek!) and then all the restrictions they lay upon you after the adoption. That's why I get my own dogs from a breeder who trusts me.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Wish that rescues were more upfront in their description of dogs and not wrap it in a humanizing way. Read between the lines and I see a beautiful dog with separation anxiety who is not good with small children.
Other examples: wants to be the only dog, doesn't want to share his toys, loves to sit in your lap and give kisses all day (eek!) and then all the restrictions they lay upon you after the adoption. That's why I get my own dogs from a breeder who trusts me.
This could be why the dog was given up in the first place.

On the other hand, I have seen rescues that will only adopt out if there is an adult home all day, no other pets, and no young children, and other somewhat extreme controlling measures. In some people's minds these things are linked to perfect homes.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
This could be why the dog was given up in the first place.

On the other hand, I have seen rescues that will only adopt out if there is an adult home all day, no other pets, and no young children, and other somewhat extreme controlling measures. In some people's minds these things are linked to perfect homes.
The reason I got my first GSD pup from a breeder was that the GSD rescue wouldn't adopt out a spayed female to me because I had an ancient 14 year old intact male dog. That risk materialized would have been more miraculous than a breeding through two crates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page