GSD vs. Dobermann? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

GSD vs. Dobermann?

I'm sure some of you guys have professional/companion experience with both the GSD and Dobermann. What are their core differences? What things have you noticed? The GSD is more athletic or the Dobermann is easier to train? Is one more demonstrative in your opinion? Which do you prefer? Anything you'd like to add. Just a little friendly discussion, they're both great breeds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 PM

I love dobies, grew up with them and I'll certainly have one again!! here is an old thread with some info, https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...dobermans.html

....but to answer your specific inquiries from above: I would describe dobermans as more territorial (guard / patrol) than the gsd, but a gsd more protective than a doberman. athleticism goes to the dobe and ease to train, gsd.... of the two i'd also say that gsd are way more demonstrative, generally speaking if course but more so than maybe a shiba inu for example

I prefer the gsd for now (and the last 15yrs), I just don't have doberman patience.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 10-19-2015 at 04:55 PM.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

Working line dobies are *somewhat* rare in the U.S. They are out there.....but *a lot more* choices in the GSD world amongst different breeders.

I had tossed around the idea of a dobie too....

If you want to participate in IPO or other bite sport you'll have a better chance at finding the right pup for you going with a German Shepherd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:52 PM

I've had both, and love love love Dobes. I find them to be way more velcro than GSDs, always sitting on your feet, leaning on your leg, cramming themselves into a chair with you. In general, they hate the rain, love a comfy couch. They are goofy. Silly things like twirling around one direction, then another (known as helicoptering). Getting a marrow bone stuck on your toes. Stealing bars of soap out of the bathroom. Just generally goofy things.

Dobes are very smart, but I think they are harder to train than GSDs. My trainer told me "with Goldens you pattern, with German Shepherds you train, with Dobermans you negotiate". I've found that to be true. My Dobes got bored FAST when we were training, so I had to be careful not to be too repetitious. The clicker was magic on my Dobes - they would throw behaviors at me like crazy.

I've had a couple of well bred Dobes, an elderly rescue, and a couple of fosters. They were all pretty much alike. Interestingly enough, none of them were interested in cats, unlike my GSDs.

I would definitely have another Doberman. I just happened to fall into GSDs after my last Dobe, Tessa died. Oh, Dobes are relatively short lived. Getting to 10 years old is an accomplishment. I had two that were 14.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Oh boy. So many differences. German Shepherds are easier to train, IMO. By far. Dobermans are true velcro dogs. GSDs want to be near you. Dobes want to be on you. I've never seen a GSD have a moment quite like the Dobes have a Doberman Moment. Revier! Oh Bird!

I know a national level competitor that can help you find a Dobe if you are interested. Also periodically train with a very nice Dobe and I'm sure I can get you that breeder info. There are a lot of nice Dobes out there, you just need to be involved to know where they are.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 PM

LOL my son used to say they went into "Dober-mode".
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Great thread!
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
LOL my son used to say they went into "Dober-mode".

LOL You never know what they'll do.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

arent dobes same sex agressive? i have 0 experience with them but have been told this.
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

I've been seeing more and more of them and I like them a lot. I wouldn't mind having one down the road. Interested in reading some more Doberman stories

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page