Is it wrong to tether in the house? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Is it wrong to tether in the house?

I am trying to teach LJ house manners because he has NONE!!! He likes to run around the house like a crazy person. He does not seem to have a good off switch. What I have started doing is having him tethered while inside. It may be he is leashed to me, my desk while I am working, or his leash is underneath my bottom (sit on the dog) while I am relaxing. It is not because I do not trust him inside because he does not destroy the house he is just always so hyper. Our house consists of mostly hardwood flooring so when he runs through he usually ends up sliding in something or someone, which he doesn't seem to mind. We have started learning the place command but he has yet to be very reliable with that. It seems he just get so excited and can't control himself. So my question is...is it wrong for me to tether him while inside? He always looks so sad when I do this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

No, not wrong at all. I've never done it but I know many people do this automatically with a new puppy or young foster dogs. I see it recommended all the time.

My in-laws always tethered their dog to a door handle so he had a certain amount of space in the kitchen while they were gone. He was tethered this way his entire life, instead of going in a crate.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Knighted Member

I tethered my puppy to myself for a long time. You can tie a leash around your waist or to a belt loop. I had one of those running leashes that cinches around your waist. Then she graduated to dragging a leash in the house. (Part of this had to do with the cats.)

She didn't earn full off leash privileges in the house until she was nearly 5 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

Hans was tethered or leashed until he was one and a half.

We got him an expen where he could relax and not be tied to anything. He sill goes in there to chil. Or sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

You don't think this will effect our bonding do you? I don't want him to think he is being corrected because that is not what I am trying to achieve. I just want him to learn that being inside means he needs to calm down and relax. I also don't want him to have a negative association with a leash in the future because believe it or not LJ walks like a perfect gentleman on leash.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Banned

Could you just block off one room for him instead?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Hans was tethered or leashed until he was one and a half.

We got him an expen where he could relax and not be tied to anything. He sill goes in there to chil. Or sleep.
I will have to look into one of those. I really do need to try and crate train him. It is more for his sake so he does not have the kids running to play with him all the time. Maybe this will give him the chance to slow down and relax himself.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackson0902 View Post
I will have to look into one of those. I really do need to try and crate train him. It is more for his sake so he does not have the kids running to play with him all the time. Maybe this will give him the chance to slow down and relax himself.

It definitely teaches him to relax in the house. I don't know what I would've done without mine.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Not a problem at all. For me it is part of raising a pup. I call these puppy stations. Wherever I am and need two hands, the pup is tethered, either to a sturdy object or to me. I have always done this in their first year and no dog has ever resented me for it. I think on the contrary; they learn to follow and be with you.
Make sure he gets plenty of exercise to burn of energy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

I often tether new foster dogs of ANY age to me for several weeks. I even installed a low-hanging hook in my kitchen so that I could hook the leash in my "work triangle" when I need my hands free, but still want the dog to be close and under supervision. In my home-office, I can hook the leash to the arm of my desk chair while I'm working.

I tell adopters to tether newly adopted dogs of ANY age to themselves inside the house for at least a week. There's a noticeable difference in the speed at which dogs settle in when adopters follow this advice -- I rarely get calls about people having adjustment issues when they follow the advice. It just plain works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page