Dog Collar with Embroidered Name - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Dog Collar with Embroidered Name

My wife and I just rescued a pit bull mix off the streets of our neighborhood with a new GSD puppy coming by the end of the year (I have no idea what we were thinking). We already have a 3.5 year old GSD as well. With the additional dogs joining our family we were looking into collars and thought it would be nice to get nylon collars with the dog's names, our phone number, or something similar embroidered into them for easy ID if something ever happened.

My question is, is this safe? Is it a good idea to let anybody and everybody know your dog's name, or am I just being overly cautious/paranoid? Just curious people's thoughts as we continue to think about this ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Knighted Member

I would check out gundogsupply.com - they have collars that they attach engraved brass plates to. They also have a section about what they recommend being printed on tags. I got the reflective ones ages ago and was really happy with them.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

I would just put the phone number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

Years ago my Great Dane had a large tag on her collar that said
'My name is Freeway. I'm deaf. Please hold me until my owner can be reached' with my phone number.

In the event that my dogs are lost their safety is my primary concern. My privacy is second to that. I don't mind if people know their names, that may save their lives. And I am super paranoid about the dogs.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM

On our dogs collars we put our last name and our phone number. This is especially helpful in our area because it is quite rural and everybody knows where everybody else lives. I figured the dogs name wouldn't help the dog get home in any way. (At the very least they could look us up in the phone book or on the internet if the number on the collars wasn't working for some reason.) In a perfect world there would have been room for both their name and a last name, but the ones I bought have large, contrasting letters, hopefully so that people notice there is something written. I'm not sure what could happen just because someone knows your dogs name?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:21 PM

^ that last line is pretty much my line of thinking. once they're close enough to read their name or tags... they've already got ahold of my dog.

there is one particular dog on the neighboring block whose name, Rocco, I hear called out all the time but I've never seen him, so I suppose if he got out and someone came to my door with a dog named Rocco, I could direct them that way.

if a collar was ever found, no dog, it could be helpful when trying to provide info in response to a lost dog ad. unfortunately my cousin found out that a coyote had gotten their cat this way.

my tags now have my dogs names, my address and cell number.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:36 PM

I've head people say that is a person picks up your dog and is considering keeping it instead of returning, that knowing the dogs name makes them more likely to keep it because they feel they could more easily integrate it into their home and feel less guilty.
Not sure I buy into that, sounds like a bit of a stretch to me, but this is the only reasoning I've heard for not putting a name on the dog's ID.

But if you had a dog that was wary of strangers, a name and number embroidered on the collar could be life saving. The dog may be more willing to come to a stranger for help if they are calling his/her name (although not good if the stranger wanted to steal your dog), and if not, they could see the number on the collar and call without having to catch your dog.

I personally just put MY name and number on the tags. If my dog is ever lost, he's going to be running up to every random stranger giving them kisses no matter what they call him lol.
When I lived in an area where dogs were more likely to be stolen, I put "needs meds" and "microchipped" on his tag to maybe help discourage people from stealing should he ever get loose.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Banned

I had her tag engraved to read; name, "I am lost" and my phone number and address. I put the address because in likelyhood she would be lost in the neighborhood and found by a neighbor. If it's only a block or two away - I think they would invest the time it took to get her back home safe. (neighbor thing)....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGSD3 View Post
But if you had a dog that was wary of strangers, a name and number embroidered on the collar could be life saving. The dog may be more willing to come to a stranger for help if they are calling his/her name (although not good if the stranger wanted to steal your dog), and if not, they could see the number on the collar and call without having to catch your dog.
See, I don't really get this? I have yet to meet a dog that is wary of me (as a stranger) that would approach me just because I called its name. It either had the temperament to approach strangers or it didn't. I know my three that aren't friendly wouldn't approach a stranger just because they knew their name. Generally, if anything, they look at that person in disgust, like they have NO right to know their name.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everybody. I greatly appreciate it.

I don't know how much room we'll have available on the collar, but I'm thinking we'll put our last name and phone number? We have a tag that has phone numbers and everything that will contact us, our vet, and family, so if space is limited we'll stick with our last name I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page