Do you think a GSD is right for me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Do you think a GSD is right for me?

Hello all! First post here! So, I have a Shiba Inu named Buddha. He'll be 1 on November 30th. I love him to bits and am looking at getting another pup for the family. I also have officially fallen for all Spitz/Nordic breeds. I'm stuck between the GSD, White Swiss Shepherd, and the Blue Bay Shepherd.

About me: I just turned twenty. I've worked with dogs my whole life and can handle the more difficult breeds- I'm drawn to them really. I work at a retail store a few minutes away, and I'm studying to be a real estate agent, eventually wanting to work from home. I live in a suburban town, my neighborhood is quite rural. Woods. I have a really big, fenced in yard and a pool. And my house is a good size. I plan on obedience training from the get go, daily training is vital to me. I brush Buddha once a week, up to four times when shedding. Anything else you want to know, just ask!

What I'm looking for: A dog that is obedient, responsive, biddable/cooperative, stable, and takes to training well. For example, my Shiba Inu (Buddha) will be on the table- I'll tell him to get off. 10 seconds later he'll be back up. I want a dog that will listen to what I'm telling him to do. Loyal, protective, "one man/velcro", will go for walks/hikes but not be as rambunctious as my Shiba. I want a dog that actually wants to be with me and will be demonstrative. Affectionate, mature and easy going. Calm in the house but will play with Buddha outside. Polite and well mannered with strangers and children. I want a dog that will listen to commands but is sure of himself and can care for himself when need be.

Do I sound like a good match for any of these? Sorry this is so long, I'm just taking this seriously and I'm really excited about what you all will have to say. Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurensabino182 View Post
For example, my Shiba Inu (Buddha) will be on the table- I'll tell him to get off. 10 seconds later he'll be back up. I want a dog that will listen to what I'm telling him to do.
This sounds like a training issue, not a breed issue. So, if you train the GSD the same way you did your Shiba, likelihood is, the GSD will turn out the same way.

I would say if you end up getting a GSD, get a female to avoid, male aggression.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

He's just stubborn. You must not be familiar with Japanese breeds.. He's well behaved for the average Shiba Inu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
For example, my Shiba Inu (Buddha) will be on the table- I'll tell him to get off. 10 seconds later he'll be back up.
The fact that you get a Shiba to go off the table verbally at all is impressive by itself.
GSD are easy to train if you know what you are doing. They are completely different that Shiba's though and have completely different needs. The only thing they have in common are erect ears. Do your research, visit breeders and see what you prefer regsrding type (working or show lines, European or USA types etc.). Another note: get a female to avoid male - male issues.
Hopefully here are members here who know how the combination Shiba and GSD can work together.
post #5 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
The fact that you get a Shiba to go off the table verbally at all is impressive by itself.
GSD are easy to train if you know what you are doing. They are completely different that Shiba's though and have completely different needs. The only thing they have in common are erect ears. Do your research, visit breeders and see what you prefer regsrding type (working or show lines, European or USA types etc.). Another note: get a female to avoid male - male issues.
Hopefully here are members here who know how the combination Shiba and GSD can work together.
Hahaha Buddha definitely makes me laugh! My dad had 4 or 5 GSD's growing up, and two of my neighbors have them as well, 4 in total on the block. I love how well behaved and noble they are. My yappy Maltese doesn't even get a glance from them. I'd probably go for the BBS just for the looks. They're supposedly extremely similar. Oh, and I definitely am getting a girl!
post #6 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
He's just stubborn. You must not be familiar with Japanese breeds.. He's well behaved for the average Shiba Inu.
GSD's can be some of the most stubborn dogs there is and if you let them get away with things they will be crazy.

At least with a Shiba its no big deal if your dog is a mess because its like what 20lb? a 80lb animal that can drag you on the ground is a different story.

Sounds like you are not reinforcing the rules you set for your Dog and that can actually cause lots of issues depending on what kind of GSD you get.

You can get an angel or a nightmare tread carefully.
post #7 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

Lauren, can you wait until you have finished your real estate course? Why the rush? Sounds like you have two dogs, a Shiba and a Maltese..a job, and taking a course... A GSD puppy is a handful. Good luck

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

short answer is yes with the caveat that you understand that much of what you want requires for you to train many of those requirements. A German Shepherd left to "train itself" could be a nightmare.

They are smart-- wicked smart - so can be easily bored if not occupied with training and exercise.

To be polite with children and strangers would mean a good deal of socialization with both.

Not sure what you mean by "is sure of himself and can care for himself when need be."

Sounds like you could have success with a GSD.

I can guarantee that you will not find a more loyal dog!

Carefully research breeders and don't look for a 'bargain' pup.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #9 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post
Lauren, can you wait until you have finished your real estate course? Why the rush? Sounds like you have two dogs, a Shiba and a Maltese..a job, and taking a course... A GSD puppy is a handful. Good luck
The Maltese is my mothers. He visits, but doesn't live with me. I actually have an extreme amount of free time. I work a few hours at the store and study for maybe two hours at home. I'm home much more than the average adult and my dog is my main priority. I'm not much for parties or going out, I'm a homebody. And the real estate course is pretty short, a few weeks I believe.
post #10 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Is everyone forgetting that I said I would be obedience training my puppy and that that was a daily, important thing for me? I've trained plenty of dogs before but there's a place that works with German Shepherds specifically down town from me. I think they train police dogs and also take companion dogs. And there's plenty of elderly people, kids, and other dogs in my neighborhood. There's hiking trails, lakes, dog parks- I live in rural/suburban MA. And PetCo has free puppy socialization classes. There's also an elderly home I was thinking of bringing her too if I could. My Shiba is just too in-your-face for that. And I'm doubting any of you have spent time with a Nihon Ken dog. It's basically their breed standard to not listen. They're all cats basically. Buddha knows plenty of tricks and is trained- he just hates to listen on a daily basis. That's how they are. It's charming to some people. He's also a puppy still. Every Shiba at this age is "rip your hair out" worthy.

Last edited by laurensabino182; 10-18-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page