The e-collar leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The e-collar leash?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about using e-collars as a "leash"?

While walking with my dog yesterday I had to ask a woman to put a leash on her dog. She said he was wearing an e-collar leash (I did see an e-collar on him) and then stomped off. This was after I witnessed her unsuccessfully trying to recall her dog from a duck pond. After three failed attempts the dog, still ignoring her, wandered over to the other side of the pond.

In my town, it is mandatory that you have a leash on your dog. An e-collar is not considered a leash as an owner can turn it off or just not use it. There are some towns that do allow e-collars as leashes. I believe in e-collars for training and recall but not using them as "leashes".

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Fallon (WLGS) b 5/23/14 & Mira (Aussie) b 8/31/04
RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Citys Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCs Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

You can use e collar corrections to keep a dog next to you in a heel or just nearby just as well as you can use them for recall. You don't even need an e collar to do it. If you're good enough with physical corrections you can keep dogs in behavior in public places with no leashes or collars at all.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:01 PM

I have learned, if an untrained dog wants something bad enough. . They will disobey. My friends retriever will run through their invisible fence, fall down and pee all over herself. It terrifies her, but when she sees a cat she is gone. No, I don't think it should be used to replace a leash. Maybe if your not in the center of town where there are dogs, kids, cars and other animals... some people seem to think e collars are a replacement for proper training. Never ever would I put my dog in that sort of danger.

Not to be misunderstood, I think e collars are a great tool.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by amburger16; 10-16-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
You can use e collar corrections to keep a dog next to you in a heel or just nearby just as well as you can use them for recall. You don't even need an e collar to do it. If you're good enough with physical corrections you can keep dogs in behavior in public places with no leashes or collars at all.
I agree with you 100% Baillif but also believe that if e-collars are allowed to be used in lieu of a leash in a town that has a leash law it could be used by many people that don't know how to use them and then their dog ends up not listening per what I witnessed yesterday. She was calling him and he would not return to her so I think either she wasn't using it correctly or forgetting to use it, or maybe it was there just for show?

And then too, there are the people that think they are just great with verbal corrections and walk without a lead at all. My dog was assaulted by a pittie mix about six weeks ago because it's owner was so full of himself he thought he could walk the dog without a leash. The neighborhood knows the dog is aggressive so we slowly moved off to the side when I spotted them, turned slightly and I put my dog on a sit. They were at least four houses away from us and the dog was on my dog in just a couple of seconds. Apparently it was the first dog fight the guy ever witnessed as he was very afraid and completely clueless as what to do. He refused to do anything to help break it up until I went to kick his dog in the ribs.

RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Citys Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCs Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

I guarantee you she wasn't using it correctly. Many many people don't. If people can use e collars and corrections to keep dogs that want nothing more than to bite a decoy or helper from breaking behavior to do it and even train them so well that they don't do it when the correction tools are not present or even when corrections are not allowed it is more than possible to train a dog to hold behavior with the corrections and collars in place. In public places where leash laws apply you should of course use a leash. I usually let my dogs go everywhere without collars or leashes of any kind and I dont have problems, but if I was to go somewhere public and busy with leash laws I would have them wear one even if I had no need to use it. Laws are laws.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicMut View Post
I agree with you 100% Baillif but also believe that if e-collars are allowed to be used in lieu of a leash in a town that has a leash law it could be used by many people that don't know how to use them and then their dog ends up not listening per what I witnessed yesterday. She was calling him and he would not return to her so I think either she wasn't using it correctly or forgetting to use it, or maybe it was there just for show?

And then too, there are the people that think they are just great with verbal corrections and walk without a lead at all. My dog was assaulted by a pittie mix about six weeks ago because it's owner was so full of himself he thought he could walk the dog without a leash. The neighborhood knows the dog is aggressive so we slowly moved off to the side when I spotted them, turned slightly and I put my dog on a sit. They were at least four houses away from us and the dog was on my dog in just a couple of seconds. Apparently it was the first dog fight the guy ever witnessed as he was very afraid and completely clueless as what to do. He refused to do anything to help break it up until I went to kick his dog in the ribs.
I feel your pain, been there, done that too many times. It is not necessarily that these owners never witnessed their Pit Bulls fight before, many believe it is normal dog behavior and some don't know that they are supposed to stop it! Others drank the shelter / rescue nice Pittie Kool Aid and are shocked when their Pit Bull acts like a gamebred dog fighting breed. In every instance where my dogs were attacked, it was always good Samaritans and myself that removed the Pit Bulls from then except for one time when the police were present and they "insisted" the owner get her Pit Bull off of both me and my puppy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
I guarantee you she wasn't using it correctly. Many many people don't. If people can use e collars and corrections to keep dogs that want nothing more than to bite a decoy or helper from breaking behavior to do it and even train them so well that they don't do it when the correction tools are not present or even when corrections are not allowed it is more than possible to train a dog to hold behavior with the corrections and collars in place. In public places where leash laws apply you should of course use a leash. I usually let my dogs go everywhere without collars or leashes of any kind and I dont have problems, but if I was to go somewhere public and busy with leash laws I would have them wear one even if I had no need to use it. Laws are laws.
Any tool is only as useful as the person using it! Pretty much as "simple" as that.

"Behaviour" modification with a E- Collar is pretty simple! E-Collar conditioning and working level are a bit more complex. People that don't get that?? Yeah good luck to them.
yeah ...good luck.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Banned

A leash is a physical restraint. An E-collar is a training tool..... Right?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

It seems a few towns with leash laws actually allow e-collars to be considered a leash which I find odd as it could be used wrong or not at all.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Crowned Member

an e-collar shouldn't be considered a leash.

Too many variable.. like how well the dog is trained, how responsible is the trainer etc...

e-collar is a tool. but in who's hands?

I do use an e-collar so no bias here

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page