A question on age and running. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

A question on age and running.

I'm a long distance runner, and ever since Archer was old enough to run with me he has done so in a harness. I limit his long runs to 10 miles maximum, the bulk of our mid week runs are between 3- 8 miles usually. For longer weekend runs I leave him home and my husband takes him for a walk.
I've recently signed up to do an ultra race, about 32 miles long, but a lot the race is trail running with 70% of it incline. As a result I've taking to training in the Dublin mountains. Again, Archer comes with me for the shorter runs and most of this would be off lead.
Now hill work is tough, but he seems to really enjoy it. Still, I'm slightly concerned. Archer will be 4 in March and I suppose I'm just asking if it's appropriate for him to be running as much as he does. In terms of health he is a lean dog, raw fed, intact male with a good attitude. He's never lame and always eager to go. He's covering roughly between 30- 40 miles a week, with Saturday given to more sedate walks and every Sunday off to laze around, eat and annoy the cat. He's not a working line GSD, but rather a WGSL.
Opinions?

( the photo I attached is one of the trails we run, he has access to water on all runs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CO32S56W8AA3-Fe.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	324786  

Last edited by Arlene/Archer; 10-14-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Oh, this is another example of some of the harder trails, this is the 8 mile course-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4-YwjWIgAAy4tu.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	324802  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 AM
Master Member

I'm no expert but 3-8 miles sounds fine to me. It all depends on the dog and his training. If he is happy and not having any health issues then I think it is fine. If you want to run him more than that then I would gradually introduce more miles and see how he does.

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Knighted Member

I'm no expert either, but at 4 years old, he is in his prime, and if you are not seeing any ill effects, then I say have a blast with him!

My dog has a lot of stamina too, and in the summer when we go to the cottage, I'm on the ATV and she's running behind and we are gone for a 4-hour tour of the lake. I do take breaks, and the lake is always beside us, so she can always cool off. She LOVES it!!!!

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

That's guys, I'm just being cautious I suppose. I'm not going to run him over 10 miles as I think that's a good limit for him, he's tired after that- but he's very fit and as long as he stays enthusiastic I'll carry on so. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I'm no expert either, but at 4 years old, he is in his prime, and if you are not seeing any ill effects, then I say have a blast with him!

My dog has a lot of stamina too, and in the summer when we go to the cottage, I'm on the ATV and she's running behind and we are gone for a 4-hour tour of the lake. I do take breaks, and the lake is always beside us, so she can always cool off. She LOVES it!!!!
Sounds fun! In the 8-mile pic, if you squint, you can see him laying down in the water to the right of the track, he loves cooling his 'jets' that way
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 11:51 AM

Congrats on your long distance running. Dog run sounds real good, he is in nice shape. Nice trail, wide open. Good luck on your ultra run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page