The cone of shame - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
DTS
Master Member

The cone of shame

So Titan got neutered yesterday. I left the cone on him all yesterday, over night, and today he was created with it on.
When I got home today I took it off because he refuses to potty with it on, and he can't eat with it on either.
He hasn't messed with his "area" but maybe once in 4 hours and I told him no and he quit.
My question is what is safer regarding the cone.
I freaked out all day that he was going to get the cone stuck in the crate some how.
Would it be better to not crate him with the cone on and let him be loose in a room? But then he would be moving around a lot more. I have a Kong freezing for him tomorrow so that will give him
An hour or so.
I don't want him getting to the incision while I'm gone but I don't want him to endanger himself either and I work 630-4.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 PM

I'd suggest keeping him in a small room or area instead of the kennel. The movement from walking around a little won't be a big deal as long as there's no furniture from which he can commence flying squirrel practice. Cobe is a bit of a hyper sensitive dog but I know when I tried to cone him in the kennel once, it made him a bit stressed and nervous because of it catching as he moved around.
Also from my experience he might become more interested in those stitches as he heals.. Cobe's were in a different location, but I imagine that like with us when they started to heal they started to pull and itch, and they definitely did for him. He'd be dozing when suddenly he'd spring up and be at the stitches with a sudden itch. Of course.. he's a bit of a drama queen. That ended his cone of shame breaks until he was all healed up.

Good look with Titan's recovery
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 PM

Leo was ex-penned when using the cone (of shame). We kept him ex-penned rather than crated because of the same concerns of crate safety. We switched to a soft collar (after about 2 days) because he hated it so much (and we thought 2 weeks was pretty excessive to keep it on). We got this one (similar) --->http://www.amazon.com/Comfy-Cone-E-Collar-Xlarge-Black/dp/B000XY5DSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444783664&sr=8-1&keywords=soft+ecollar. Good luck!

Tina/Mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
DTS
Master Member

I looked into the soft collar and a pro collar. Im thinking about getting one just because this plastic one isn't going to last.
When he was 13 weeks old he learned he could jump out of the x pen and now at 2 I'm sure he'd really try and get loose.
I'm thinking about just putting him in his room (it has a ceiling fan and his crate but that's it)
He gets pain meds in the morning and Benadryl, so hopefully that will help with itching.
If I was a stay at home dog mom, this would be so much easier lol.
I worried about him all day. I wish my vet opened early and was closer to my house, I could just drop him off and have them board him each day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

Comfy cone brand is good, but they can bend it and reach past the edge, so I use one size larger.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 12:11 PM

Jazz barrelled through 2 of the vet's plastic cones and destroyed them. We ended up getting a comfy cone and it worked beautifully. She could eat, drink and sleep with it no problem. Wish I had bought it sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page