So just how "common" ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

So just how "common" ?

So when people ask me what ghost is bred with and I tell them that he is purebred 90% of the time I get, "they come in white?" That's when I usually reply with well I just ran out of ink in the printer. Anyways I was wondering just how common/ rare white shepards are in the gsd world? Ghost is my first pet other then family pets, I didn't seek out a purebred white gsd just kind of happened that way. anyways the second most asked question I get is how rare are they and I don't really know. So I was hoping for some in put. Thanks guys

P.s. How common is his size as well? At 6 months he was 83 pounds, at a year he was 110 and now at a few months past a year he's 120. The vet said he should get to 160 ish which is just bonkers. (And no he isn't fat he's just BIG)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1444739478726.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	324266  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Elite Member

They are pretty common. Like you I did not seek out a white one, but rather it was my favorite color of one that needed a better life, so I gave him one.
There are two near where I live and unfortunately, they each run never ending circles in their yards.
I work about 3 hours from home and know of three in that area. Hans' first trainer owned one also.
I like your answer about the printer running out of ink.
Sometimes people ask about Hans and say that they didn't know they came in white...sounds like they are picking out new shoes or something, lol.
BTW, you have a great looking shepherd!!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:55 AM

They are not rare,but since they are not included in the breed standard you don't see them often.There are breeders that have whites exclusively though.
The breed standard also says they are medium-sized dogs so Ghost is definitely oversized and uncommon.He's beautiful!I really don't think 160 is realistic.That's Saint Bernard,Newfoundland size

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM

I have a 4 month old white GSD and people always ask what kind of dog he is... and they're always surprised when I tell them he's a german shepherd. A lot of people don't know that they come in white.

They're certainly a lot more rare than the black & tan coloured ones... but they're not super rare or anything.

We got ours from a breeder who only breeds the whites. If you breed two whites together, you'll always get all white puppies.

That's crazy how big your dog is! Everyone is saying that ours will be big too because of his big paws... but probably not nearly as big as yours. His dad weighed about 90 lbs... and his mom weighed about 70 lbs. Ours weighed about 40 lbs when he was roughly 3.5 months... and I feel like he's gotten quite a bit bigger just in the last couple of weeks.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 AM

Here's my puppy at just over 4 month old.

Last edited by BauerWhite; 10-13-2015 at 11:13 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:25 AM

Just look at those ears!!So cute!!This is making me long for another white

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Master Member

Your guy is really handsome. The whites are not too uncommon. Blacks are more common but like the whites, people don't always recognize them as a GSD. I once had someone comment that they had never seen a lab with pointy ears before.

Fallon (WLGS) b 5/23/14 & Mira (Aussie) b 8/31/04
RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Citys Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCs Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:55 PM

Well there are people on this forum who will tell you that white is the most common shepherd color ever. However, the AKC for some unknown reason thinks that only 10% of the shepherds registered are white, so you do the math. 10% white vs. 90% other colors does not make them rare, but seems to indicate they aren't all that common.

My last shepherd was white, 33 inches high at the shoulders, and weighed 140 lbs. So like yours also a big boy and not fat. Breeder of 30 years said he was a plush coat but here again people on this forum who had never seen him said he wasn't. Why argue with these "experts"?

Rommel, my current white, is very tall and lanky and weighed 92 lbs at 10 months. So my "guess" is that he will end up somewhere between 100 and 110 lbs. He is also a stock coat which is much easier to take care of than a plush coat.

And we get stopped all the time with people saying how beautiful he is and asking what kind of dog he is (stupid people don't they know how common white shepherds are?).
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Wow so many amazing white shepards and yeah normally I'd of just dismissed the vet when she said that but this vet bred and shown shepards for 20 plus years. From what I gathered tho this was in the mid 80's and when I first brought him in she freaked out because she had tried for years to get a white sharpard and never could and then I told her how I got him she basically did flips she loved him sooo much. Which makes me almost believe it, again he was 83 pound at 6 months when he was robbed of his manhood, so it just makes me wonder.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palydyn View Post
Well there are people on this forum who will tell you that white is the most common shepherd color ever. However, the AKC for some unknown reason thinks that only 10% of the shepherds registered are white, so you do the math. 10% white vs. 90% other colors does not make them rare, but seems to indicate they aren't all that common.

My last shepherd was white, 33 inches high at the shoulders, and weighed 140 lbs. So like yours also a big boy and not fat. Breeder of 30 years said he was a plush coat but here again people on this forum who had never seen him said he wasn't. Why argue with these "experts"?

Rommel, my current white, is very tall and lanky and weighed 92 lbs at 10 months. So my "guess" is that he will end up somewhere between 100 and 110 lbs. He is also a stock coat which is much easier to take care of than a plush coat.

And we get stopped all the time with people saying how beautiful he is and asking what kind of dog he is (stupid people don't they know how common white shepherds are?).
I bought a pup one time and the coat looked odd. I contacted the breeder about it and was told the pup was a "plush" and they went on to explain that all plush meant was just a thicker coat. As it turned out, the pup grew into a long coat. She was beautiful, but I still was not pleased that the breeder lied to me. If I had wanted a long coat pup, I would have bought one. Unfortunately, home computers weren't popular back then so I really did not have access to "experts" to advise me of the breeder's deceit. If I had have access to computers like today, and been informed of the fraud, I would not have shot the messengers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page