Travelling with dogs that don't get along yet. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Travelling with dogs that don't get along yet.

So thank you all for the help and advice you've given on my latest post, it's been much appreciated.

In two weeks, my SO and I need to travel 2.5 hours to go away for a few days, and unless we leave either the GSD or Chihuahua at home, they'll be coming to. Now we've had no chance to develop the relationship between the two bitches, and at this stage they're not ready to be that close to each other without the risk of a dead Chi.

What would you all recommend we do.. Is there a way we could bring both dogs back without much trouble? Unfortunately I can't get hold of a cargo barrier for my Grand Vitara, so unless I make one (with my VERY limited equipment), that idea is off the table. So that leaves me with some solution I've over looked, or leave one of the dogs at home, which isn't desirable.

Thanks all,

Sam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:41 AM

Well since it is a small chihuahua (thank you auto correct) couldn't the passenger hold him/her for the ride? Two half hours isn't that long to hold a dog that size, God only knows how long I've held my grandmas chilhuahua while watching tv trying to not have contact with "family members" aka people I don't know.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

If you can't separate using crates, I agree - hold the Chi on your lap for the trip. Not the safest solution but you have to do what you have to do sometimes.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Knighted Member

Either in the front with you, or a decent sized crate in the back with her bed in it so she can be separate from the other dog.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Due to circumstances out of my control, I had to take my GSD, two rabbits (not mine), and a rather out of control terrier (not mine) on a 4 hour trip, in a Corolla. It wasn't something I'd like to do all the time, but it can be done.

Try everything possible to find a carrier for the Chihuahua (borrow if you have to). Drape a light sheet over the crate, and keep the temp in your car cool.

Equally as important, before you climb into the car, get your shepherd a TON of exercise. As much as you safely can, to the point where the dog should be ready to sleep. Intense exercise, long drink of water, then into the car and off you go.... hopefully with a tired, sleeping GSD.

Good luck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Master Member

Can you put the Chi in a crate? I have the cargo barrier below. It bolts on to rear headrests so it doesn't extend below with those pesky poles that extend from cargo floor to ceiling. I love it and you can get fast delivery on it. Just be sure to bolt it tightly if you get one. Also measure from top of rear seat to ceiling to be sure it will fit.
http://www.amazon.com/Walky-Adjustable-Barrier-Automotive-Safety/dp/B0039U7NOO/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444753528&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=cargo+barrier+for+cars+suvs+and+minivans

Fallon (WLGS) b 5/23/14 & Mira (Aussie) b 8/31/04
RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Citys Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCs Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page