Study Finds Most Pet Travel Seats Not Effective During Car Crashes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Study Finds Most Pet Travel Seats Not Effective During Car Crashes

Subaru of America and the Center for Pet Safety joint pilot study have garnered some interesting results. Four years of testing leads to overall recommendation of best travel safety products for pets.

If youíre like me, the first thing you do when you hop in the car is buckle up. Aside from being the law, itís become part of our culture Ė we buckle up for safety. Yet in spite of knowing that seatbelts save lives, my feline Shelby was permitted to free range. Yep, she made such a fuss in her cat carrier that I found it easier to let her sit on my lap or roam around the car when I drove. Like everyone else, I considered myself a good parent and it simply never occurred to me that this indulgent action could have placed her in danger. Thankfully, I never had to learn this lesson the hard way.
So while I donít judge when I see pets leaning out car windows, sitting on owners laps or lying in the carís back window as it barrels down a highway, I think we all know there must be a safer way to shuttle our little guys around town.

Read the full story here at Petguide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 AM

So this kinda tells me that I'm a bad pet owner, not because I'm unwilling to do what's best for my gsd but because he is too big for any of things, and no he isn't fat he is just a big guy, if only found one cage that he fits in but I order for my to get it in my jeep I'd have to cut the roof off and thus blocking my rear view. And it's not like I have an overly small jeep either, it's 97 grand Cherokee. So I'm at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Knighted Member

This is a tough debate. I have the worst luck in the world with cars.

I have had 5 cars totalled in 7 years, as well as 3 other serious car accidents. For each of the cars that were totalled, I was T-boned on the driver's side in one, and rear ended in the other 4.

I was COMPLETELY stationary - in other words, I was at a dead stop with my foot on the brake, waiting at a red light or stop sign.

Kyleigh was only in the car in the one of the accidents, and it wasn't one of the bad ones - I was sideswiped as I was going around a corner - person decided to join my in my lane. Thankfully, it was in the city, so neither of us was going very fast, and she wasn't banged up or anything.

I first started using a crate for my dog. The first time my car was totalled (t-boned from the driver's side), they had to use the jaws of life to get me out of the car (I was fine, except for whiplash). The crate that was in the back seat? Demolished.

The second time I was rear ended (while I was at a stop sign) and I was hit while the person was going about 80 km/h (she was texting) and the trunk of my car ended up in the back seat. The crate EXPLODED and cut me up and caused more damage to me than anything else (ever tried to pull plastic pieces of crate out of your arm? OUCH!)

So I switched from a crate to one of those pet barriers. A metal barrier that goes across the back of the driver's seat to the passenger's seat.

Had three more cars totalled, and got sideswiped again ... no damage to the pet barrier.

My friend is a paramedic - she came across an accident and there were two dogs in the SUV. One in a crate, and one "free" behind the pet barrier. Both dogs died. The "free" dog's face went through the barrier and the one in the crate was crushed.

So now I have no barrier, no crate, no restraints. I have a hatchback, the seats in the back seat are down, and Kyleigh is trained to lay down while I am driving on the highway, or anywhere over 50.

And I cross my fingers every time I get in my car that I won't get hit.

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Working in the automotive industry, I've seen a lot of things. I am currently in autobody and collision. My pets safety is a concern of mine, but simply knowing how cars are built.. I am not putting a crate in my vehicle, and I'm not strapping my dog in. Exactly as Kyleigh said, things get crushed, very easily. I simply cannot afford some dynamite tested dog crate with tie downs (dynamite is an exaggeration, but you get my point).

I could strap Bear in, then get t-boned on the side he is strapped in, and he could completely be crushed, or I can take the chance he bounces off the side air bag on the other side and does/doesn't get crushed. Just because I'm wearing a seat belt does not mean I'm not going to die if I'm in an accident. And the only seatbelt/harness they have listed in this article is only tested up to 75 lbs, so 1/4 the dogs just on this forum are taking a chance using it, and the other things are for little dogs.

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:38 AM

EXACTLY! So what am I supposed to do with 120 pounds of gsd!!?? This is super frustrating it's like no matter what we do we are going to be"wrong"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Knighted Member

You take your chances every single time you get in the car with yourself, so you do the same thing with your dog!

My airbag has gone off on me 5 times - it hurt like heck, but I'm alive and well - had whiplash twice, but no serious effects after physiotherapy. Heck pulling out pieces of the crate hurt more than anything else!

Just do what you can. The biggest thing for me was training Kyleigh to stay laying down while I was driving faster than 50. So if I'm in the city or suburbia, I have no issue with her sitting up and looking out the window.

BUT, once I'm on back roads or the highway, she HAS to lay down. No options.

Is it the best possible solution? I don't know ...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:52 PM

That's pretty much the same, I just up until yesterday actually lived in a tiny town of a massive 8000 people and so if we went any where in town he took shotgun but anything above 45 he takes the back seat and lays down
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Administrator

All of this is pretty nerve wracking, and the more you research, the scarier it gets.

Nothing throws it into sharper scrutiny than being in an accident, I was in one last week (no one injured, thankfully).

I was very anti-crate in vehicles for quite a while. My family is full of firefighters, and also includes a paramedic and a state trooper. Their stories about dogs crushed in crates, or trapped in crates in burning vehicles, are just... terrible. But after reading more and more studies, I'll be moving to a crate system... and I'm deliberately shopping for a larger vehicle.

I think Kyleigh said it best, you accept risk every time you get into your car. But that doesn't mean we should all sit and home and lock our dogs in a padded safe room. You could easily become absolutely paranoid obsessing over risks and possibilities, so we all just need to make the best decision we can, and watch out for all the other idiots on the road.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Exactly..

Onions, Hot Cars, Ponies, Panic And Greed. Fear And Loathing In The Animal World | Bedlam Farm Journal

This is a great article about the paranoia that overcomes people nowadays with animals.

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Knighted Member

That is a FABULOUS article, I absolutely LOVED it when I first read it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page