Working full time with a GSD puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Working full time with a GSD puppy

Hey there, me and my husband would love to get a GSD puppy, but as we both work full time (7.30am-6.30pm) we've always thought we wouldn't be able to. We have 2 cats already but would love to add a dog to our family.

If we were to hire a dog walker how often would we need one, once or twice a day? There are a few options locally also which range from half day doggy day care, home visits and dog walking. If we get one we'd plan it around christmas time as we will both be off work so can spend at least 2 weeks with the puppy. I can also work from home a few times a month (not much I know but its something). We can let it out in the garden for an hour in the morning before work, and then we can do walks and exercise/playtime in the evenings and weekends as we have no other real time consuming commitments. We only tend to do one holiday a year so that shouldn't be a problem, and we do have lots of family locally who do not work so could always help out in an emergency.

We have a spare room which would be the puppies room, and we have a garage which is carpeted so could easily be the dogs room as he/she gets bigger, although it can be quite chilly in the winter so I'm not sure how practical that would be and would maybe need some sort of heating put in.

Really, I just wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on working and owning a GSD?? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM
DTS
Master Member

When we first got Titan as an 8 week old, we hired a dog walker to come in twice a day, I left at 630 and she came at 1030-11 and between 130-230 and I came home around 4-430
As he got older around 5-6 months, we went down to one visit for an hour around lunch.
When we was around 9 months my husband came home for lunch and let him out and he was fine after that.
Around a year he was fine in his crate all day.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxee View Post
Hey there, me and my husband would love to get a GSD puppy, but as we both work full time (7.30am-6.30pm) we've always thought we wouldn't be able to. We have 2 cats already but would love to add a dog to our family.

If we were to hire a dog walker how often would we need one, once or twice a day? There are a few options locally also which range from half day doggy day care, home visits and dog walking. If we get one we'd plan it around christmas time as we will both be off work so can spend at least 2 weeks with the puppy. I can also work from home a few times a month (not much I know but its something). We can let it out in the garden for an hour in the morning before work, and then we can do walks and exercise/playtime in the evenings and weekends as we have no other real time consuming commitments. We only tend to do one holiday a year so that shouldn't be a problem, and we do have lots of family locally who do not work so could always help out in an emergency.

We have a spare room which would be the puppies room, and we have a garage which is carpeted so could easily be the dogs room as he/she gets bigger, although it can be quite chilly in the winter so I'm not sure how practical that would be and would maybe need some sort of heating put in.

Really, I just wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on working and owning a GSD?? Thank you!
Hi Loxxee,

My husband and I both work full time. When we got our late GSD she was about four months old and we both worked full time then too. That was 13 years ago and honestly, I don't remember thinking about it too much. We crate trained her and I went home at lunch time the first couple of months (maybe not even that long). She was fine.

This time around I've been doing a lot of research before bringing home our new puppy. I was really surprised actually to see that a lot of people don't think you should get a puppy if you aren't home the majority of the day. Personally, I would really love to be able to stay home with our new puppy! I don't have kids so I joke that I should get maternity leave! :-) Anyway it it isn't practical to quit my job (and sadly I don't think they would allow me maternity leave :-( ). I had originally looked for an adult dog but after looking for about six months I was having a hard time finding the right fit (we also have two cats and their safety is very important to me).

so long story short, I've been thinking outside of the box and have come up with a solution (with the great advice that I've gotten here) that I think will work. It does involve having a pet sitter come over once a day for the first few weeks (or months, I'll just see how it goes) but my set up will allow the puppy to go in and outside of the house as needed. You can find my post about it in another active thread that I started yesterday.

Last edited by GSDreSearching; 10-12-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

I have gone through a few puppies in the last few years and worked full time plus travel time. My son was there to let them out mid-day. Now I go home at lunch and give them a potty break. It has worked well.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses so far! Very helpful!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 PM

I think this 100% depends on the needs of the dog. We can generalize all day and say you can do (enter lifestyle here) with GSDs and get away with it. In that vein, you will find plenty of people who say, "oh sure. we work full time and our GSD is fine with whatever."

However, when getting a puppy, you simply do not know. If this is the route you want to go, try looking into a rescue first. The foster parents can tell you what the dog requires in terms of exercise, attention, etc.

Try this scenario...you get a puppy who requires a lot of exercise. You get home after an 11 hour workday. You want to relax, put your feet up make dinner, watch the news.....but Fido needs to run. He's got 11 hours of puppy energy built up. You have to take him out for his run (whether its a leash walk/run, chasing a ball, whatever).

Everyday.

McCoy is 3 and still has the energy of a puppy. I recently got him involved in Daycare. I love it, he loves it, win/win. The cost does add up, though.

Explore the possibility of a rescue before you make a decision.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Crowned Member

I cannot even imagine how to do this successfully when working full time. Raising a good GSD takes full time for me. Maybe it depends on your goals.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I cannot even imagine how to do this successfully when working full time. Raising a good GSD takes full time for me. Maybe it depends on your goals.
Could you elaborate a little bit? What do you mean by good gsd? when you say you cannot even imagine how to do it, Is it because you wouldn't have enough time to spend with the dog? In that case, how much would you need? Is it because the time the dog spend alone regardless of the time training/exercising?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Knighted Member

We work full time; we got a puppy last year.

I'm lucky enough to live near enough to work that I can run home over lunch, and my husband works from home a fair number of days now. When she was little, I just ran home every day at lunch. She was fine. We then devoted evenings and weekends to playing and socializing and just generally spending time with her. It was a huge change for me, and definitely a big sacrifice. My life before the pup was relaxation and chores in the evening, sometimes going out for drinks, now it's all her. And some chores. (She's more fun than chores, so there is that.)

Had I had a dog walker I trusted, I certainly would have utilized that also; unfortunately we lost our petsitter before the puppy came home, because I learned of some key ideological differences and I decided I couldn't trust the person in my home anymore. When the noon runs home worked out okay, we stuck with that.

I think you just have to look at all the possibilities and decide if you think working it out is truly feasible vs just "possible if XYZABC."
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Does that mean that those of us who raised a good GSD while working full time are just that much better at it?

(I kid.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page