Newlie the Knucklehead (Long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Newlie the Knucklehead (Long)

I was so mad at my knucklehead Thursday evening I couldn't see straight. Mind you, there are parts now that I think are pretty humorous, but at the time, I was not amused.

First, I had purchased a flirt pole from Amazon that was delivered and decided I would try it out. Several years ago, I had set up a tetherball set for Newlie and, though he loved it, we had to stop playing because he became so intense chasing the ball that he would not listen to me. It was a little frightening too, I never felt like I could just go in and take the ball away if he grabbed it, I wasn't sure if he even knew who I was when he was like that. His trainer came over to my house and saw it one time, he was able to make Newlie "off" with an e-color, but said Newlie reminded him of a malinois chasing that ball. Aside from this one thing, Newlie always has been a soft shepherd.

So, we gave up tetherball and I would hit balls for Newlie with a tennis racket. He was still intense chasing the balls but controllable. However, he is several years older now and, just recently, I saw a slight limp after several brief sessions chasing the ball so I decided it was time to move him away from that if I could. The abrupt turns, the stopping on a dime, the jumping up in the air….I was afraid for him. I had been playing tug and using a homemade flirt pole in the house with Newlie and he was doing fine, so I thought the combination of him being older and me being a stronger leader would make using the new flirt pole outside OK. Boy, was I wrong!!

As soon as I started swinging the flirt pole, Newlie started chasing. After a few turns, I was feeling a little dizzy, so I slowed down which made it possible then for Newlie to grab the toy at the end. OK, then it became a ferocious (and ridiculous) tug of war, him at one end pulling for all he’s worth, the cord stretched all across the yard, and me holding on for dear life at the other end to keep the flirt pole from taking off toward Newlie like a javelin. He finally let go and I managed to grab the toy up into my hands. So then, Newlie starts jumping at me to get the toy, darn near knocking me down in the process. I kind of flung him away from me, yelled “No” at him, and discretion being the better part of valor, walked to the house and put the flirt pole away.

After a few minutes, I decided to try Trieball with Newlie again, mistake number two, or three or whatever, since he was obviously still much too hyped up from the flirt pole. I had no more carried the ball outside and the minute it touched the grass, Newlie was on it like a snake, sunk his teeth into it and it was flat. For whatever reason, that was the last straw, I was livid. I grabbed the remains of the ball, turned around and stomped back into the house and spent a few minutes fussing about the big blockhead I had left out in the yard. The, I heard a little cough outside and ran out to see if Newlie was OK and forgot I was supposed to be mad. Of course, he was fine, I don’t half put it past him to work up a fake cough to get back on my good side again, lol

So, back to square one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:54 PM

Lol!That story is hilarious(in retrospect)The javelin description especially!So Newlie has no off switch seems like
I'll bet he would love fly ball,might be something to investigate.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

I feel your pain
The reason Bud washed out was because we couldn't 'off' him short of brute force. He aced obedience, and looked good doing it, but send him after a decoy and he was like a thing possessed! Even today, when he drops his head and 'fixes' on something I have those oh crap moments. And he's 13!
For years we wore gloves and jackets to handle him, because he gets so intent on his target he does damage. He was 10 I think before we learned to play fetch without risking my hands.
I'm glad you can find the humor in it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

The picture of this made me smile--glad no one was hurt. They are just goofballs sometimes. Did I ever tell the story of when Robyn pulled my pants down in agility because she was so excited?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Lisa,lol!Did you think it was funny at the moment?

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Lisa,lol!Did you think it was funny at the moment?
At first I was shocked, then embarrassed, then I laughed--in a matter of like 5 seconds. She was young, like under a year and had no clue. I couldn't be mad her, but I sure was more careful after that.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, everyone! I had thought that maybe I would catch some flak for being stupid and inept, you all make me feel better.

Dogma, thanks for the flyball suggestion, I will look into that as well as lure coursing. I am not real familiar with either of these but maybe they would easier on his legs. I would feel more comfortable, too, if I could find a sport where he could compete by himself. He is not always dog reactive, but he can be.

Sabis, your description of Bud sounds a lot like Newlie. He is, in general, a pretty gentle shepherd until he's chasing something and then, like you say, he becomes possessed.

Lombardo, I haven't heard the Robyn story, it sounds hysterical. What happened?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
Thanks, everyone! I had thought that maybe I would catch some flak for being stupid and inept, you all make me feel better.

Dogma, thanks for the flyball suggestion, I will look into that as well as lure coursing. I am not real familiar with either of these but maybe they would easier on his legs. I would feel more comfortable, too, if I could find a sport where he could compete by himself. He is not always dog reactive, but he can be.

Sabis, your description of Bud sounds a lot like Newlie. He is, in general, a pretty gentle shepherd until he's chasing something and then, like you say, he becomes possessed.

Lombardo, I haven't heard the Robyn story, it sounds hysterical. What happened?
Barn Hunts are cool and he is in the area by himself.

The Robyn story..
We were at agility and we ran the course once, we were waiting for next turn and she was super excited jumping up and her paw landed on my pants and down they went--all the way down--there was no catching them.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried letting him win it (flirt pole) and allow him to parade around for a bit? My girl would go nuts as well and there would be no letting go/out. Funny she would calm a little, follow commands sit, down ect.. But she was not letting go, I could drag her on her side, lol! Castlemaid suggested letting her win/parade around with it and it helped.

We also have some stucture to games, "finish right" before throwing a ball or sit/down before moving the flirt pole. I think it helps maintain some order.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Have you tried letting him win it (flirt pole) and allow him to parade around for a bit? My girl would go nuts as well and there would be no letting go/out. Funny she would calm a little, follow commands sit, down ect.. But she was not letting go, I could drag her on her side, lol! Castlemaid suggested letting her win/parade around with it and it helped.

We also have some stucture to games, "finish right" before throwing a ball or sit/down before moving the flirt pole. I think it helps maintain some order.
Yep, I always let them win at some point. I just took the sleeve out today and did some tug with Apollo. He has never learned out and as soon as I said it, he knew what to do. I never seen him sit do dad on command when he knew we were starting the game over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page