bad behaviors!! need help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

bad behaviors!! need help

my gsd Max is 13 months old!!he is a very tough dog!! he pulls to much on walking, barks on any dog and almost everybody and pulls me more!! going on a walk with him is always a mess and not fun!!i tried many things as "walk next to me" but he doesnt listen and he is also a stubborn dog !! and when there is a dog or someone that takes his attention he doesnt listen at all!!need help!!how can i change it and make the walking fun and make him play with other dogs and be socialized?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Banned

Get a prong collar to help with the pulling and gi to dog parks to help socialize with other dogs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Oh, Boy. Have I Ever Been There. But I won in The End

I bought a Giant German Shepherd. He's tough as all get out too. And, we had on heck of a time trying to bring him around. It took at least two years and we're not 100% of the way to where we want to be now, just weeks from his 3rd birthday.

It sounds like you've allowed some pretty bad habits to develop. They're going to be hard to break now that he's so much larger than he was as a puppy.

Let's just start with pulling. Get a prong collar, back it up with a choke collar and without anger let that dog feel your power right from the beginning of the walk. With mine still takes a couple of stiff jerks as soon as we leave the house to get him to realize that I mean business about no pulling.

At the beginning of the walk on a short leash stand in front of the dog and make him sit patiently using whatever level of correction you must. It's the only way to set the walk up right. Then start with short walks and terminate them long before he wants to, again, to demonstrate that you control the walk and not him.

Importantly, when it's over find something to praise the dog about. And, then switch from the menacing and demanding to the loving and tender.

This dual approach finally worked with mine.

Someone else can take up reactive behavior towards other dogs. Personally, I think dog parks are the worst possible option right now.

Good luck.

Last edited by Longfisher; 10-09-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

Have you ever taken OB classes with him? If no, look for a trainer or clubs in you area, clubs offering classes are usually pretty reasonable. They can see you/him first hand and guide you in the right direction. it sounds like he either doesn't understand what you are asking or is just blowing you off.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Why does he need to play with strange dogs? Most GSDs are not good dogs to take to a dog park, especially after about 8-9 months when they become adolescent and test every boundary possible. He needs to learn to ignore them. Obedience classes would be a good start.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Exercise and training.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Why does he need to play with strange dogs? Most GSDs are not good dogs to take to a dog park, especially after about 8-9 months when they become adolescent and test every boundary possible. He needs to learn to ignore them. Obedience classes would be a good start.
Thank You!!

Worst advice ever, go to a Dog Park???

I just posted this:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ly-dogs-2.html

And the walk thing ...see here:
Slip Lead leash - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

All the "real tools" are discussed and you'll see problems you may run into!

Welcome aboard.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisp View Post
my gsd Max is 13 months old!!he is a very tough dog!! he pulls to much on walking, barks on any dog and almost everybody and pulls me more!! going on a walk with him is always a mess and not fun!!i tried many things as "walk next to me" but he doesnt listen and he is also a stubborn dog !! and when there is a dog or someone that takes his attention he doesnt listen at all!!need help!!how can i change it and make the walking fun and make him play with other dogs and be socialized?
He is not stubborn. He is simply not trained. Find a local trainer that has a lot of experience with GSDs and work with them. At this point you're not likely to solve this on your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page