Teaching Newlie Trieball - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Teaching Newlie Trieball

Well, I have decided to try to teach Newlie how to do trieball and would welcome any thoughts, tips, etc that anyone has to offer. This will be the most complex thing I have ever tried, in terms of having more steps. Most of the things I've taught him just had one or two steps.

I had a large exercise ball in the basement and brought that up and the first thing Newlie did was to go for it with his teeth, but I anticipated that and immediately said an emphatic "No." I had watched a little online how-to video, noting the first several steps earlier yesterday morning. I meant to start outside, but a new guy was out working in the yard and I knew Newlie would be too distracted by his presence. Newlie already knew the "touch" command, but we started with that, him touching his nose into my hands. The video had shown putting a piece of tape on the ball to target where you want him to push, so I decided to put small pieces of tape on my hands first so he would get the feel. It didn't seem to bother him.

I then put the tape on the ball and had him touch. He did it probably 10 or twelve times, sometimes with his mouth closed, but more often with it open. I know his mouth needs to be closed, but it was a start. I stopped when he seemed to be getting frustrated, I think he wanted the ball to move and I had it trapped with my legs.

We stopped for a bit, then a little later, I started the "Go Around" command using a kitchen chair. I was leading him around the chair, first one side, then the other, using the command and then dropped the leash and sort of encouraged him around using his treat bowl. He did real well, although he periodically tried to stop and put his front legs up on the chair, a rather dubious trick I had taught him several months ago.

So, that was my start. I will update and look forward to any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Crowned Member

Congrats - you and Newlie are off to a great start. Looking forward to further progress reports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Crowned Member

Looks like a great idea!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds great.I never could get daisy or Lucky to just touch. Im trying to teach Charlie to do the go a round command as she cnat see up close and we need it when walking on leash in the woods.Great thread.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page