Energy or interest level low? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Energy or interest level low?

Apex is about 1.5 months old and he's great at home super calm and ready to go outside.

When we play fetch I'll toss two balls back and forth and after like maybe a few minutes of this he'll not chase after the ball (he'll still get it sometimes but then he'll just go and plop on the ground and relax for a bit)

Now is he just resting or is his energy level lower? I take him hiking and he'll be constantly in motion and at times run like a maniac.

Is he just disinterested in the fetch (though he seems to love it)

How can I get him to stay in that play drive longer or what steps can I take to increase his energy level. As I am hoping to get him into IPO since I plan on getting a WLGSD in a years time.

Last edited by Apexk9; 10-06-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

He's young and as long he does fine hiking and what not then he probably just hasn't built up enough interest. None of mine were that thrilled about fetch at that age either. I would keep playing and be very animated, use short sessions and not cover a lot of distance either.

Later on as he matures, you can build intrest by stopping play before he plops. If he will play hard for 4-5 minutes, then stop around 3-4 min, then gradually try adding time as his enthusiasm increases.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I'll try that.
on my next day off ill play fetch maybe 3 or 4 throws then take him for a walk then home then take him out within an hour do the same bring him in and try to go out every hour before he plops.

Tomorrow I will spend trying to find how much time it takes for him to Plop.
Even when he plops he is ready to go if hes motivated like If i bust out a tug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Elite Member

He is six weeks old????????? Did you mean a year and a half? 15 months?

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
He is six weeks old????????? Did you mean a year and a half? 15 months?
I looked back at previous posts and think it's a typo. Despite checking, somehow I still got it in my head it was 2-3 mo old pup when I posted, geez I need sleep...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 PM

high energy, high drive and high endurance are not always a package deal. my SL male is very high energy (active, playful, animated, runs for no reason) but fairly low drive (attention span is zip... fetch and tug are rare and short lived). my WL male has moderate energy level (rises to the occasion when asked but has a super chill button) but tons of drive (intense, determined, will tug and chase til the cows come home) both have good endurance (multi mile / multi hour hikes).

in your case, if trying to build drive, I'd ditch the ball and get him a flirt pole.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

yes hes 15 months lol.
I am going to build my boy a flirt pole once I can go pick up some pvc pipe and a bungee rope. I'll use that to build his drive and try the other method to keep his interest in fetch.

When we first start hes Ramped up ready to go and if I give him a command during this time his reaction is like immediate he'll down in like .1 seconds when other times he's just casual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page