companion for 3-year old male unaltered GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

companion for 3-year old male unaltered GSD

Hello!

I have a 3-year old male unaltered GSD named Linus and I'm thinking about getting him a companion and would like some advice.

Here is the context:
- Linus is spending more time alone (mostly when I'm gone for work) as I'm in the middle of a divorce.
- He gets his fair share of exercise/play. We run four miles every morning in the trails by my house and when I get home from work, we either go to the dog park or go for a long neighborhood walk.
- He is ambivalent about most other dogs, but absolutely loves a few. They are all female.
- Linus is very well socialized and comes with me to as many places that accept him breweries, coffee shop, home depot, etc..

I'm fairly certain I will be getting another female dog, but as to what breed or age, I'm not sure sure. The natural thought is to get another shepherd. On the other hand maybe I should get a dog that compliments him in size and maybe personality. One problem I'm having is that most rescues won't allow adoptions to families with unaltered pets, so I have to go with a private seller. Right now I'm eyeing an all black 4-year old female GSD, obviously spayed.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions whatsoever?

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Master Member

Thought I would bump this topic for you Do you want another dog? Or are you solely interested in another K9 for your gsd? We have also bumped into the issue of rescues and their strict rules about spay/neuter. We were seriously considering fostering dogs for a nearby rescue but no one will let you foster or adopt if you have any intact animals.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo dog View Post
Thought I would bump this topic for you Do you want another dog? Or are you solely interested in another K9 for your gsd? We have also bumped into the issue of rescues and their strict rules about spay/neuter. We were seriously considering fostering dogs for a nearby rescue but no one will let you foster or adopt if you have any intact animals.
I do want another dog.

This was not my ideal scenario, though. My ideal scenario was to raise another GSD puppy, possibly from a litter which Linus was the stud for. Unfortunately, the current situation doesn't allow that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Dogs don't "need" to have friends/companions, but as long as YOU want another dog and are getting it mainly for your sake, then go for it.

I'd definitely go more for a dog of similar size. For my second dog, I plan to get either a golden retriever or another shepherd. If you want to find one with a personality that is likely to mesh well with your current dog, a shelter is your best bet. The spay/neuter thing with shelters/rescues is a pain for responsible owners like us, so if worse comes to worse perhaps you can lie about it..? I don't recall them ever asking for proof, so it should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Butters - 10/11/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page