Converted my bike into a dog scooter for $1! ByeBye bikejoring. Hello dog scootering! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Converted my bike into a dog scooter for $1! ByeBye bikejoring. Hello dog scootering!

It finally dawned on me: I don't need to wait until I save enough money for that dog scooter experience, I can turn my bike into a scooter almost for free. All I had to do was disconnect one of the crank arms (the piece that the pedal connects to), turn it 180% around, and reconnect it, so instead of it being opposite the other side/pedal (one up, one down), it is exactly in the same position so I can stand on both pedals and both of my feet/legs would be extended down (similar to standing on a dog sled or scooter). Then I just removed the bike seat and mounting bar, and voila(!): my mountain bike is now as close to a dog scooter as you can get without actually owning a dog scooter. When I can get my wife out there, I'll have her take some pics for a better visual, but I hope you get the picture.

I was so excited to take it for a spin that I attached King Kaze to me and off we went into the night darkness for a short 2.5 mile ride. We even saw a shooting star blaze across the wide open Idaho sky. I'm headed to bed so I can get back up in 6 hours to take all 4 dogs for their first dog scootering ride (no more calling it bikejoring...ha!). I am so excited, I'm not sure I'll even be able to fall asleep. It is such a different feeling than just sitting on a bike seat. I'm in LOVE!

I didn't have all of the tools to do it myself. I needed what they call a "Puller" to get that crank arm off. I had to take the bike to my local bike shop, where he did it for $1 labor fee. Not kidding. Love small towns! I asked him to order me the Puller so I can convert it from scooter to bike back to scooter as I need to. He sold a $20 Puller in his shop, but my Specialized Mountain Bike needed a different kind of Puller that costs $22, so he put it on special order for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:25 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds like fun! Looking forward to seeing pics or videos.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

Can't wait to see photos, sounds like fun!!

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 AM

Clever idea! Looking forward to pictures!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

Yes Counter - pictures please. Something I can show to my bike shop. Thanks!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I'll get pics for you guys as soon as I can free up my wife to take some. She's the "expert" photographer in the house. I went out this morning at 5:21 in the dark and saw 2 more shooting stars. I had all 4 dogs this time. We had a blast, other than multiple encounters with early morning joggers in the same area we go to be alone. Ugh! Can't blame my fellow military members for wanting to stay in shape. Ha! FIT TO FIGHT!!! I won't complain. It certainly isn't a normal thing to run into people or cars on the loop that we run, so I'll mark this off as a (hopefully) one-time occasion. Especially once it starts getting colder, it's better for the dogs, and most people around here don't go outdoors when the temperature drops. We normally have the whole place to ourselves! Love it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

That sounds very cool. Cant wait for the pictures of you and the pack scootering. Have fun!

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

OK, I know it's been a while, but my wife finally bought her new camera, which means I get her freshly-repaired old camera. I took the pics today and uploaded them. Here you go:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you go back and forth converting be careful. The crank arms are usually aluminum alloy and threads can be stripped -- the puller threads into the crank arm (after you remove a dust cap) then and another peice pushes against the steel shaft of the crank.

Use some grease when installing the puller and be very careful threading it in and make sure it is very clean before you do. I used to work as a bike mechanic and you have to pull the cranks to overhaul the bottom bracket.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Banned

Well, ...... I can't picture the thing in action. The "seat" looks a bit uncomfortable.... Is there a link or something where I could see one in use? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page