Going to see my puppy! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Going to see my puppy!

Hello! I'm going to go see my puppy (Tasha ) for the first time Sunday! I cannot wait! She's only going to be a little over 2 weeks old then. I do understand that my puppy can't eat anything then, but can I bring a treat for mom as a way of saying thank you & what a good job she did? If so, what kind of treat would be good for her? Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
Hello! I'm going to go see my puppy (Tasha ) for the first time Sunday! I cannot wait! She's only going to be a little over 2 weeks old then. I do understand that my puppy can't eat anything then, but can I bring a treat for mom as a way of saying thank you & what a good job she did? If so, what kind of treat would be good for her? Thank you for your help!

I would speak to your breeder about that, I'm sure she could give you some insight on what she likes and if she can have it.

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Elite Member

Actually, when I traveled to see the litter, my breeder gave me treats to give to the dam when she was brought into the living room to meet me. The dam then proceeded to lay down right by me and ignore me. After a while, I put my hand on her and she calmly lifted her head and briefly looked at me and then put her head down again. This all told me a lot of info about the mother of my puppy. She was so calm and so okay with people. Not overly friendly as a GSD should not be, but okay with strangers she was properly introduced to.

I went home feeling very good about the litter, although I had no idea which puppy I was getting. (BTW--My breeder always relocates the bitch away from the litter before letting people see and touch the pups as she does not want to distress the dam.)

Have a nice visit--it is very exciting.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Wait. A breeder is letting a whole host of perfect strangers come and touch unvaccinated puppies? Really? That's a bit scary.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 PM

Well she said "see" not touch, lol....I'm sure the breeder won't let her actually handle the pups Anyhow I can imagine how exciting this must be for you Coleen to meet Tasha for the first time and make sure to take some pictures if you can.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:59 PM

My breeder didn't let us come and visit our puppy until he was 1 month old.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Update

I got to see my puppy! It was exciting! We wanted to bring some of the money that we owe (so that we don't have to try to come up with it all at once). The hardest part was that we couldn't hold her, understandably so. But, at least I was able to see her! The breeder did let me get a picture of her! Sorry, but I have to be biased here, but she was the cutest and prettiest thing I ever saw! The next 6 weeks is going to be a killer wait! Any how here's the pic of her!

Going to see my puppy!-20151004_130346.jpg
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

Very cute!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Congratulations on your new baby Tasha. The time will go by fast and give you the opportunity to be ready for that welcome home.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=Coleen;7288473 We wanted to bring some of the money that we owe (so that we don't have to try to come up with it all at once). QUOTE]

I don't know how much experience you have with this breed, just wanted to throw this into the mix. The purchase price is just the beginning of the expense of having a GSD (my experience). Food, vet, classes etc will add up a lot. Have you looked into pet insurance?
Also I wonder how you and the breeder have determined what is the best puppy for you when they are only two weeks old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page