Anyone with a rare colored or plush Shepherd reply - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone with a rare colored or plush Shepherd reply

Have you ever been asked if you're dog is a mix? My Shepherd Chase is a plush fur and people ask Is he a long haired or German Shepherd mix? And I say no he is a plush fur and he is pure German Shepherd. His dad was a plush fur and mom was a short hair. Here is a pic of Chase, his dad (Red plush laying on grass) and mom (on leash)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1161277843899615_1443806658577.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	322066   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1442426189334_1443806673691.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	322074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006_1443806689661.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	322082  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 07:35 PM

I have a 5 month old black and red long haired shepherd, and she looks a lot like yours. Your dog definitely looks like a purebred to me and I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise. No one has ever asked if mine is a mix. Beautiful dog you have!
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabirdie View Post
I have a 5 month old black and red long haired shepherd, and she looks a lot like yours. Your dog definitely looks like a purebred to me and I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise. No one has ever asked if mine is a mix. Beautiful dog you have!
Thanks Chase is long hair tho he is plush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabirdie View Post
Thanks Chase isn't long hair tho he is plush
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Crowned Member

People all think they know GSDs because their sister-in-law's boyfriend's aunt used to raise them. These are usually the people who will argue with you about whether or not your dog is what you claim he is.

Other people, are either not dog people or are not shepherd people and they just don't know the many lines, colors, coat lengths the breed can be.

And then you have people like me, who focus on one breed, and other breeds kind of melt together so that I have trouble recognizing them. I mean, a West Heighland White Terrier Owner would probably be highly offended if I asked them if it was one of those Baloney dogs. But I don't know the differences, and really, I don't care to know. You can tell me, but it will go in one ear and out the other. So I generally am not offended if people lump tervs and malinois and dutchies and sheps and all those big look alikes -- kings, shilohs, and the like together, and don't know a chow from a GSD.

You can educate them, or get offended, or have fun with them, but in the end, they still probably won't recognize every GSD as a GSD, and everything not a GSD as not a GSD.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:45 PM

Denali (RIP), my previous white shepherd was an anomaly in many ways. He had what they called a plush coat. The hair was as long, maybe slightly longer than a stock coat but he had what I would describe as almost a double undercoat. It was so thick you had to really work your fingers in just to be able to touch his skin. He was also around 33 inches high at the shoulder and weighed 140 lbs. Not fat, just one big dog.

Consequently people thought he was an albino Great Dane or an albino something else. His trainer thought he was crossed with a Clydesdale. His groomer thought he was crossed with an ultra plush shag carpet.
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palydyn View Post
Denali (RIP), my previous white shepherd was an anomaly in many ways. He had what they called a plush coat. The hair was as long, maybe slightly longer than a stock coat but he had what I would describe as almost a double undercoat. It was so thick you had to really work your fingers in just to be able to touch his skin. He was also around 33 inches high at the shoulder and weighed 140 lbs. Not fat, just one big dog.

Consequently people thought he was an albino Great Dane or an albino something else. His trainer thought he was crossed with a Clydesdale. His groomer thought he was crossed with an ultra plush shag carpet.
Lol!! Samson has a stock coat but a super dense undercoat like your description.He looks overweight in the winter but it's just all that thick padding

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palydyn View Post

33 inches tall whoa that's one big Shepherd and white Shepherds are rare too
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:56 PM

Chasegsdlove, your pup is a long coated gsd ("longhaired", "coatie", "long stock coat", LHGSD, etc). both of his parents are stock coats, yes his dad is a plush version but still a stock coat. they are carriers of the long coat gene which is how your beautiful pup was produced but he is no doubt a long coat - the hairs in and around his ears are a dead give away..... long coats vary in the degree of adult coat that they end up with. as he grows, so will his hair, predominately on his chest, legs, tail, feet. some long coats with really thick/dense undercoats may still be called plush but that is a descriptive term, not a genetic one and Chase is too young to tell. expect his adult coat closer to 18months.

your breeder should be able to confirm all of this for you.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 10-03-2015 at 10:58 PM.
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 10:06 AM

It happens all the time with my long-stock coat. She has been mistaken for a shiloh or a Belgium shepherd since she was a baby. Not many people have seen a coated shepherd. I just laugh it off and just educate on the different coats of the gsd.
My new boy is a black sable with an extremely thick under coat and now I deal with the question, is he a wolf? German shepherds come in several coats types and color and unless it is a standard black and tan don't expect average pet owner to be familiar with the breed differences.

Athena- Long Coat GSD -CGC
Sinister Black- GSD
Nemesis- GSD
Titus- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page