Picking up food from bowl and placing throughout the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Picking up food from bowl and placing throughout the house

**** all,

Background:
Nala is now 3.5 years old. Great girl, fairly well behaved and knows that wife and I are pack leaders. At around 2 year old, we moved into our first house (from apartments) and she started pulling more on walks and barking/pulling for other dogs and started getting nippy with neighbors. We took her to a few professionals for assessment, and they all agreed that it was a nerves thing. She went to boot camp for 3 weeks and then we did human training. She can now walk without a leash and listen to me. We are very proud of her.

For the past 1-2 years, Nala would take first 2-3 bites of food from her bowl in the kitchen and drop the food in the living room. She would then pick it back up, eat it. Then eventually go to her bowl to finish her food for the remainder of the meal. Nala is a slow eater. She eats as she pleases and never scarfs her food.

She's been eating 4 cups of food most of her life and has weighed in the low 90's. In the past 6 month, she suddenly went to 105. So we have reduced her to 3 cups a day. She's back to her low 90's over a period of about 2 months. Not sure if this has anything to do with what just happened today....

The issue:
We have never liked how she takes her first few bites elsewhere, as it is dirty. But have learned to live with it. Today, however, she started something new. She would pickup a a bite and then place it one area of the house on the same floor. Then do the same thing to a new area. This resulted in 4 random spots where she laid a mess of food. So I took her bowl away and waited for her to clean up for the 4 spots. 25 minutes later, she cleaned them. I placed her bowl back down, and she started the same thing.

I am hoping this is just an off day for her, but I don't want to allow this to get any worse. Looking for advice and suggestions on how to curb this problem of removing her food from the bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Update: after trying two more times, she is finally eating multiple bits from her bowl. Regardless, still curious of this phenomenon and want to curb it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Master Member

I've no idea why she's doing this, but the solution is really quite simple: don't allow her to eat outside of the area you feed her in. Kitchen, crate, whatever. If she tries to move the food, you take it away, put it back in the bowl, point to it and giver her an "eat" command. Additionally, if she doesn't clean out the bowl in ~20 minutes, take it away until next meal time. Teach her that when it's time to eat, it really is time to eat. And make sure you're not giving her snacks or treats in between meals (which would interfere with her appetite and negatively affect the training).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:16 AM

The easy fix is just feed her in her crate, both my dogs are fed in crates, more because I want to take a bit of weight off one and put some weight on the other. (older dog pushes youngster off food and eats his food)

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I got rid of my crate about a year ago.

Ok, to the taking it away method. As soon as she drops it on the floor, I will pick it up before she eats it and throw it back in her bowl.

Regarding the "time to eat" I tried this a long time ago... she's always been such a slow eater and restricting to times, did not change much. I suppose I can try again and be more diligent.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:36 AM

This has me wondering about Bella, she will get a mouthful of kibble and place it beside the food bowl and lick them off the floor one at a time. I am just thinking its a puppy thing as she is just 3 and 1/2 months. Keep us posted on what you do to fix it, if you don't mind.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

This is an interesting "problem" to have. Admittedly we have a family dog I grew up with, Labx, who does this. She has done it all her life. Just one mouthful next to her bowl, then eat it up and finish the rest in her bowl. So odd, but it was just her "thing." Interested to see what others have to say on the subject, as I have no fixaction to suggest, honestly.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Since you don't have a crate, tether her to the fridge for instance, and give her 5 minutes to eat. Then remove the bowl, eaten or not. Time for tough love.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Crowned Member

Both barker the elders have liked to have company for dinner. Each has brought food out of the bowl and dumped a mouthful near me to eat. They ate/eat kibble so it's not a big deal.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
This is an interesting "problem" to have. Admittedly we have a family dog I grew up with, Labx, who does this. She has done it all her life. Just one mouthful next to her bowl, then eat it up and finish the rest in her bowl. So odd, but it was just her "thing." Interested to see what others have to say on the subject, as I have no fixaction to suggest, honestly.
I have seen puppies grab food and take it elsewhere to eat.I guessed that it was a habit from when they were competing with litter mates eating from the same bowl.Then they eventually got over it.
My girl Misty dumps her bowl over and eats off of the floor.I put her bowl on newspapers now.If she carried it all over the house I would feed her in a crate or tether her at mealtimes.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page