Pet-safe mouse traps? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Pet-safe mouse traps?

So.. we have mice. Our fridge broke down a few days ago and a guy came to repair it yesterday and ended up discovering that we have a mouse problem. We had no idea because we've never seen any mice around the house. (ironically, one of the cats found and killed one the DAY the repair man came over. it was a first)

I know there are a number of traps available, but the problem is, we have four VERY curious pets; three cats and one dog. We're still trying to locate the source of the mouse issue, but regardless of where we need to put the traps, I'd like to play it as safely as possible.

Are there any good traps out there that we don't have to worry about the pets getting into? I'd prefer something as humane as possible, but my own pets' safety comes first, so I'm open to any options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Butters - 10/11/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B00004RAMU/ref=pd_sim_86_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0520W60BB65TQXBX80ZW&dpID=41hzCUqMnOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_
I use these with success. Make sure you release them at least 0.5 mile from your house. I think in the past I was catching the same ones over and over.
Makes sure you check them every day and put them away safely when you don't use them to prevent mice dying in there. Besides tasty food to lure them, I do put a piece of paper towel in there and a small dish of water to get them through the trap-time comfortably. Place the trap against the wall; that's where mice move about. To check the trap, hod it against the light; you'll see the silhouet. If you open it too far, they can jump out.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B00004RAMU/ref=pd_sim_86_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0520W60BB65TQXBX80ZW&dpID=41hzCUqMnOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_
I use these with success. Make sure you release them at least 0.5 mile from your house. I think in the past I was catching the same ones over and over.
Makes sure you check them every day and put them away safely when you don't use them to prevent mice dying in there. Besides tasty food to lure them, I do put a piece of paper towel in there and a small dish of water to get them through the trap-time comfortably. Place the trap against the wall; that's where mice move about. To check the trap, hold it against the light; you'll see the silhouette. If you open it too far, they can jump out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

I had a mouse last year, we'll probably more then one. I put peppermint out and that seemed to work.

This year I found this in my bushes and let it be, because I probably won't have a mouse problem agsin

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Knighted Member

something that works really well around here anyway!

take a bucket, put peanut butter around the edge of the rim fill 1/2 with water and set it in a certain area and wait

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I have the exact same metal box trap that Wolfy Dog linked, and I like it very much.

We have a partial basement / crawl space under our home that you can only access from outside doors (it's a very old house). I use this trap in the basement through the winter. The best part is it traps multiple mice without needing to be re-set, and there is no glue or poison bait. I usually put a small dab of peanut butter and some bird seed in it, works like a charm.

Downside, as Wolfy Dog said, you need to check and empty it frequently, if you're going to be gone for a while put the trap in a rubber bin or somewhere equally inaccessible.... even the faint scent of food lures them in.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post
something that works really well around here anyway!

take a bucket, put peanut butter around the edge of the rim fill 1/2 with water and set it in a certain area and wait
If you have a tall enough bucket you don't have to drown them, which is cruel. Deer mice cannot jump high. The regular house mouse does jump high so you need to come up with something better, like the trap I mentioned.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

We do have small snakes around here as well as various other predators (namely owls and other large birds), but our place is fairly old and has a few holes that spiders and such often get into. Apparently mice as well.

It must not be a huge infestation because we've lived here over a year now and have yet to see a single mouse inside (besides the one the cat killed the other day), so we're thinking the mouse problem is mainly under/around the house and some of them are just managing to sneak inside somehow.

Butters - 10/11/14
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
We do have small snakes around here as well as various other predators (namely owls and other large birds), but our place is fairly old and has a few holes that spiders and such often get into. Apparently mice as well.

It must not be a huge infestation because we've lived here over a year now and have yet to see a single mouse inside (besides the one the cat killed the other day), so we're thinking the mouse problem is mainly under/around the house and some of them are just managing to sneak inside somehow.
Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I really recommend that trap linked above. Last winter I caught (maybe?) 4 or 5 mice, total. Our home is definitely not "infested", it's just the reality of living in an old house near some natural lake/forest areas.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Elite Member

If you would like to smile, mouse with happy ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSBO8YAnTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page