Breeding for "Straight Back" - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Breeding for "Straight Back"

The only thing I have read here, is that breeding for straight back is a fallacy and an advertising gimick. It is a movement of what many would call "BYB" but it is for a purpose among small scale breeders. This is my girl Summer at 15 mos (female). The only comparison I could find is a mature male. Please allow for the differences in age and sex. It's the best I could find to compare.

There is a movement to breed "old fashioned" or straight back and that is what my breeder was trying to accomplish. Summer is F1 out of Hungary (WGSL) and American Bred. She started out her first 9 mos with a hump in her back. She has a sharp croup that will stay, but I just wanted to put this up here - there are attempts being made and it's not all hype - Breeding for "Straight Back"-img_8354.jpgfor straight back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Oh here we go again.

Stonevintage, you started a thread yourself about the shady crap your breeder pulls. Sire couldn't pass OFA and they claim he's with some sheriff's deptartment (with zero proof), if I remember correctly. You really would go as far as to claim that your dog's breeder had an agenda in mind? The dogs aren't even health tested!

And your photo is at a completely different angle than the comparison photo. The only people who use "straight back" as their buzz word selling point are the people who surround it by "super protective of their family, mellow temperament, 130lbs, old style" etc, with dogs that have never been evaluated by anyone other than themselves and will never be proven in any venue. Nevermind the entire lack of health testing. How can you promote them as breed ambassadors?

Just because you can find pictures of exaggerated showlines doesn't mean that its the entirety of the breed.

8/30/15 by Alexis Roy, on Flickr

9/20/15 by Alexis Roy, on Flickr

12/31/14 by Alexis Roy, on Flickr
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Well,here's the first GSD.If this is the breed standard it's obvious that many of the show line breeders have deviated from this over time.the written standard says "straight back".
Yes there are some irresponsible BYB that use gimmicks to sell unhealthy dogs.There are also those that health test,title,and genuinely try to do right by our breed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horand.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	320817  

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Knighted Member

I guess I'm confused about what about a 'straight back' makes it to be preferred? What is the purpose and how does it help the GSD work better?

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 AM

They never show the "straight backed dogs" stretched out in a stacked position either.
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I guess I'm confused about what about a 'straight back' makes it to be preferred? What is the purpose and how does it help the GSD work better?
Check out the Breed Standard forum for an article titled "An SV judge looks at the Breed standard".Lots of info and diagrams on bone structure if you're interested.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Master Member

These are pictures of the same dog. He is a typical WGSL type. No, he is not crippled. He is a family pet. We are also active in IPO and agility with rally on the side. He is SG show rated, has his BH, and is training for his AD this fall (12 mile endurance test). His prelims are OFA good hips/elbows normal - will repeat when he is 2 next month.

You can support whatever breeding practices you want, but I'll go with health tested, titled dogs (not just a CGC, which my dog has too).
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM

For the millionth time, "straight back" does not mean parallel to the ground. And don't compare stacked to unstacked dogs, to show a "straight back".

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:14 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

[URL=http://s57.photobucket.com/user/Andaka/media/Tag/DSC_0063.jpg.html]

post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 PM

I don't think anyone is criticizing anyone's dogs!The only thing I would speak against is :
1.Breeding for extremes
Examples would be a dog with a top line that appears "stacked" when he is standing naturally or grossly oversized.
2.Breeding for vanity while disregarding health,temperament, working ability.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page