Huskies and Sheperds, yay or nay? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Huskies and Sheperds, yay or nay?

Hello all!
As a few know, I have an adult GSD, Vega. We are doing much better due to the advice on this site, so I thought I would turn to you all again.

My partner and I are seriously considering adding a husky puppy to our household, predominately to be my fiancee's dog, but also because we want a large, fuzzy family. I know that some people on this site have both breeds, and I wanted to know your thoughts and advice on having two, large, fuzzy, active dogs.
While we wouldn't get a (preferably) male husky for another year or two, I want to consider everything. We both know that puppies take A LOT of work, especially a husky, and frankly I'm a bit concerned about the energy level of a husky, but that could be blown out of proportion. My partner and I are both willing to train and socialize, and are willing to look for the right breeder so find the right fit. I already have Vega, who by the time we get a puppy will be 5-6 or so, a cat (prey drive concern!) and a snake. Should we factor in Vega's age in this decision? I have heard of adult dogs getting along with puppies, but I was never sure how old those dogs were. We both love how pack oriented huskies are, and for Vega to have a similarly sized friend (eventually).
So far we have talked about the fuzz, the energy, the training and the cost. Should we be researching or discussing anything else?
Thanks!
(if this already a thread, I would love to read it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Master Member

My friend has a husky/malamute mix. Pretty calm & stable dog. A bit smaller than my GSD, and I wouldn't say he's got more energy than mine does.

I'm not a fan of the howling ("singing a song of my people"), though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM

IMO 5 yrs isnt old at all and your dog will have plenty of life still in her. My dog's (male) best friend is a husky (female) and they get along great but the energy level together is intense. I thought my dog alone was nuts but put them together and its crazy. If youre ready for some craziness then by all means GOOD LUCK! but I would not recommend 2 of the same gender if you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

I have friends with both gsds and huskys and they seem like a good match. The male husky is a go everywhere dog, the owner takes him to work at his construction sites, he's a very social dog. He is a bit stubborn at times, his down stays crack me up, waits til your not looking then try's to creep a bit closer as if noone notices, lol

I had a malamute, he was mellow guy most of his life, it may not be the norm though. Had a lot of fun with him pulling me/kids around on roller blades. One day I may get another.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Elite Member

Can you foster one as a 'trial run'?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Wow guys! thanks for the feedback.

We can't foster one at the moment, we have a very full apartment, plus between school and work,we don't feel like we can juggle two dogs at this time. Hence why we want to wait till we have more space + time. But it is a good thought! It might be something we can consider later on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:44 PM

I think they're very compatible breeds, albeit both high maintenance in different ways... GSD can typically adapt to a huskies needs quite easily - extremely physical play and running for example, those dogs love to pull and run and are built for endurance! be prepared for a very different training experience... huskies are notoriously stubborn and independent in nature, smart, but less biddable.

a dog savvy cat will be fine... every husky I've known has successfully lived with feline friends but were not to be considered cat safe outside of the home.

word on the street is that they should never be trusted off leash, ever, that said... 2 of the most trustworthy off leash dogs I know happen to be huskies.

if unable to foster as suggested above, I highly recommend spending some time at a rescue to get a feel for multiple adult examples of the breed.

that's all I got

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 09-29-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page