What to ask a trainer ? How do you know if you have a good trainer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

What to ask a trainer ? How do you know if you have a good trainer?

The trainer came over today. We talked about everything from basic obedience to Protection training. I really don't have interest in protection training right now. So how do you know if you have a good trainer on your hands ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

What was the trainers evaluation of the dog?

Thats what I'd be looking to hear.

What was he like interacting with your dog.

You are good at asking impossible questions to the board. You were there. What did you think.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Ask for References, Videos of his/her work - him/her actually working a dog in the video.

Then ask them to demonstrate themselves working their dog(s) in your presence.

If at any time they can't do that, and or something feels wrong....trust your gut and walk away.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I want to know HOW a trainer is going to do for me and my dog whatever they claim they're going to do. Not just a bunch of promises. What are their training methods? What have they accomplished with their own dog/s?

Talking to current and former clients is a good idea, as well as observing a training session, as Kim suggests above.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveBella478 View Post
The trainer came over today. We talked about everything from basic obedience to Protection training. I really don't have interest in protection training right now. So how do you know if you have a good trainer on your hands ?
Ask them what to do if a dog is given a command that it knows 100%, but does not obey (in a scenario without "new to the dog" distractions). If that answer does not involve giving a correction, thank them for their time and walk away.

Ask what results they have personally achieved in dog sports, working activities (police K9, search and rescue, etc.) or other competitions. Nada? Walk away.

Ask them how many years of experience they have with training mature German Shepherds. Any answer other than "X years", walk away.

Some GSDs can achieve reasonable results with "regular" trainers, "positive-only" trainers, etc. Many trainers can achieve reasonable results with GSD puppies, before any of their serious instincts kick in.

I have worked with such trainers before and had good results (for my levels of knowledge/understanding/goals at the time). With my experience to date (now having a mature GSD), I'll never rely on training with anyone that doesn't have years of experience with GSDs, and results to show for it.

It is very easy to overlook certain signs or behaviours in a younger GSD that will cause issues down the line if not immediately & properly dealt with. You need to be in the company of someone that can recognize those signs and not only address them, but educate you in the process.

Last edited by yuriy; 09-28-2015 at 09:34 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
What was the trainers evaluation of the dog?

Thats what I'd be looking to hear.

What was he like interacting with your dog.

You are good at asking impossible questions to the board. You were there. What did you think.
He said it's pretty impressive how she listen to her commands the first time with no hesitation. He was playing with her a lot and she was all over him. Is there a such thing as an impossible question ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates Lair View Post
Ask for References, Videos of his/her work - him/her actually working a dog in the video.

Then ask them to demonstrate themselves working their dog(s) in your presence.

If at any time they can't do that, and or something feels wrong....trust your gut and walk away.

Kim
He has a Facebook account for his business, I follow it. I've seen some of his work on Facebook but now that I actually sat down and talk to him I'm going to go back and look at those videos
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriy View Post
Quote:
Ask them what to do if a dog is given a command that it knows 100%, but does not obey (in a scenario without "new to the dog" distractions). If that answer does not involve giving a correction, thank them for their time and walk away.

Ask what results they have personally achieved in dog sports, working activities (police K9, search and rescue, etc.) or other competitions. Nada? Walk away.

Ask them how many years of experience they have with training mature German Shepherds. Any answer other than "X years", walk away.

Some GSDs can achieve reasonable results with "regular" trainers, "positive-only" trainers, etc. Many trainers can achieve reasonable results with GSD puppies, before any of their serious instincts kick in.

I have worked with such trainers before and had good results (for my levels of knowledge/understanding/goals at the time). With my experience to date (now having a mature GSD), I'll never rely on training with anyone that doesn't have years of experience with GSDs, and results to show for it.

It is very easy to overlook certain signs or behaviours in a younger GSD that will cause issues down the line if not immediately & properly dealt with. You need to be in the company of someone that can recognize those signs and not only address them, but educate you in the process.
He was really big on correction. I tried to ask complicated questions but I sounded stupid because it was my first time. He sounded very convincing. He said something that stuck out to me like a sore thumb. "He said Proection work is 98% of obedience"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:14 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
He was really big on correction.
And what else? Or just corrections?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Quote:
He was really big on correction.
And what else? Or just corrections?
He broke down what could be causing Bella to act very differently right now. He also said he's available 24 hours a day. For an example if something went wrong with Bella she got sick or something in the middle of the night I can call him and he will let his friend know (who is a veterinarian in my area) that it's an emergency and my dog needs to come in at any time. He also mention certificates she gets after graduating.

He said he spends a long time on obedience. He said it's totally up to me where we go from there.

He mention how it's very important to keep her socialize through this phase she's going through. We talked about so many things it's so hard to remember.

we talked about in certain scenarios.

He said he does it for the love not for the money. He advise me to really to sit down and think about protection training.

He gave me a syllabus technically of what we are going to be doing in the first six weeks.

Last edited by ILoveBella478; 09-28-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page