Opinion on neuter age - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Opinion on neuter age

Our vet has suggested they we have Jax neutered at 6 months. I have been reading on this forum that neutering early can make males grow tall lanky, with small heads. I want him to have his full male physique so I may wait. Any opinions on this? He is not humping, marking, and does not have dominance issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

Golden retriever study suggests neutering affects dog health :: UC Davis News & Information

humping and marking are training issues in most cases. Dominance issues have more to do with personality than gonads.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Elite Member

Search on the forum under "neuter" and you will find a wealth of information and view points. I have followed my vet's advice for 25 years, but with my GSD I stepped out of the box on neutering, immunizations, and (raw) feeding. I go to him because for everything else, he is very competent and on top of things.

The vet tech does say that I have the best GSD by far in their practice. (My guy always walks the front door in saying, "Hey, I love this place!! Where are my admirers who work here??"

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmills7277 View Post
Our vet has suggested they we have Jax neutered at 6 months. I have been reading on this forum that neutering early can make males grow tall lanky, with small heads. I want him to have his full male physique so I may wait. Any opinions on this? He is not humping, marking, and does not have dominance issues.
A picture is worth more than words.

Buddy was neutered at 4 months. Not tall. Not lanky and a Big Head and he lived to be 13.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Crowned Member

I usually fix them between 6 months and a year. I'm trying something different this time. I'm waiting until my 1 yr old male is 18-24 months. I don't think 2 yrs will be a problem. He doesn't hump, mark or have any behavior issues.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Master Member

I'm of the opinion that neutering makes zero difference to the dog's behaviour or growth potential.

Got Liza neutered at six months, and she's taller and bigger than most male GSDs. It's all about genetics, food and exercise.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

I spayed Stella at apx 6 months, and she was over 80 lbs at maturity. I wanted to neuter Fritz at 18 months, but he had a retained testicle, so he was done at 8 months. He is 15 months apx 80+ lbs, still growing.... I have yet to see if neutering/spaying at an earlier age or older age makes a difference. Good luck

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:20 PM

early spaying and neutering CAN & MAY change the way a dog develops physically but doesn't necessarily affect adult weight... and with such variety within the breed - I believe that when people describe taller, longer, less masculine features, less muscle, etc - it's hard to compare to other dogs of the same breed but it's definitely noticeable among littermates.

I work at a facility that breeds and trains dogs - males come in with big heads and tons of muscle and it's hard to believe that they were neutered at 7 or 8 months old until you see a littermate that was left intact until 18 months. it goes the other way too... an 18mo old intact male comes in and ppl comment that he's tiny or looks like a girl.... then you meet his altered brother and he's even finer boned.

that said - all dogs develop and mature at different rates. I've seen 14yr old boys with more facial hair than my 46yr old brother.

if I were ever to acquire a pup from a breeder, I would likely decide at 18months.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 09-26-2015 at 11:23 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
early spaying and neutering CAN & MAY change the way a dog develops physically but doesn't necessarily affect adult weight... and with such variety within the breed - I believe that when people describe taller, longer, less masculine features, less muscle, etc - it's hard to compare to other dogs of the same breed but it's definitely noticeable among littermates.

I work at a facility that breeds and trains dogs - males come in with big heads and tons of muscle and it's hard to believe that they were neutered at 7 or 8 months old until you see a littermate that was left intact until 18 months. it goes the other way too... an 18mo old intact male comes in and ppl comment that he's tiny or looks like a girl.... then you meet his altered brother and he's even finer boned.

that said - all dogs develop and mature at different rates. I've seen 14yr old boys with more facial hair than my 46yr old brother.

if I were ever to acquire a pup from a breeder, I would likely decide at 18months.
Exactly, to make such comments one has to compare apples to apples.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:36 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post

Littermates. Buddy was neutered at 4 months...

his littermate and brother Shadow was neutered over 1 year

The littermate who was neutered earlier had the bigger head and more muscle mass than the brother who was neutered later.

My experience with 35 years of being owned by shepherds is that it is an old wives tale that the size of the dogs head has anything to do with how early or late he was neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page