What a Day! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What a Day!

Earlier this morning, I was saying on another thread that Newlie seemed to have fewer problems with issues toward other dogs. I should have knocked on wood.

I took Newlie to the vet today to update several of his vaccinations. There weren't many people with their dogs in the waiting room so we went on in. The office has several rooms and there was a couple with their dog in a room to the side so we stayed in the front room by ourselves. I put Newlie in a down and even though he could (gasp!) see the other dog, he was fine. He laid there quietly watching, no growling or barking, and I was so proud of him. The only thing he did was to whine every time I stopped petting him and took my hand away.

Then, we went back to see the vet. He wrestled with the vet and his son a little more than he usually does, but they were doing several things to him. Newlie was not biting or anything, just doing things like using he feet to push the vet away. He is very strong.

As a side note, I found out that they do allergy testing there, it runs somewhere between $300-$350. Right now, I have Newlie on Merrick infused raw and he does seem a little better, but time will tell. I have been fooled before into thinking he was better, but it didn't last. The problem with this food is that it is very expensive. I am going to keep him on it for a little while longer, but I am seriously considering the allergy test. If I can find out what is causing the problem, then it might give me more options.

Anyway, we left the vet's office and came home. I was on my front porch with Newlie on a leash, unlocking the door, when I saw the little neighbor girl, about ten, come into view from the side of the house. I wasn't particularly concerned because Newlie is good with kids and she really has a knack with him. Then, I saw a look on her face and in the next second, her dog, a chocolate lab, came into view off-leash. We both moved pretty darn fast. Reese started to come up the stairs to the porch and she grabbed her collar. I yanked Newlie in front of me so that my body was between Newlie and Reese. Newlie gave out a "You better get out of my yard" bark and popped his head out from between my legs, which afterward was a bit of comic relief. But it just goes to show that you can never become complacent. In a split second, everything can change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 04:04 PM

Good reaction time!Yeah,you're right,you can never 100% trust a reactive dog and it's hard to stay on guard 100% too.
I bet it did look like you were riding a barking dog,lol!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

So glad it turned out okay! Now, it seems whenever I mention something is going great..eg, Fritz eating better..he stops. So, now its just a 'secret'! Good luck with the allergies

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, Dogma! Yes, it really scared me for a minute. I am usually alert the whole time I am out with Newlie, but his behavior at the vet's coupled with the fact that I was literally one step away from going in the house made me relax a tad and that's what you cannot do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page