GSD vs Homeowners Insurance This is Wrong - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

GSD vs Homeowners Insurance This is Wrong

I have still not been able to find an insurance company in my area (North Idaho) that I can get reasonable homeowners insurance with.

This is something that I became aware of about 4 months ago. My insurance company is able to deny a claim if my house burns down because I acquired a GSD some years after I got my homeowners insurance?

I spent some time looking at different companies and many have these bans including the GSD. I tried to find out why and cannot locate any incident numbers that would include the GSD in an extraordinary amount of claims to justify this.

I tried to look outward to other countries to see a trend where GSD's are presenting a problem to justify this. I found a site named Petolog.com. They have an article titled "List of Banned Dogs by Countries". They have 28 Countries listed.

In the USA there is no Federal law to ban any breed - but the US Army has a prohibition list on "the housing of large dogs in the cantonments of the USA army housing". It lists 21 dog breeds of which the GSD is #17. It also goes on to site "Limitations in some states include - owner must be at least 21, amount of liability insurance 100k, prohibition on sale, can be given only to relatives, at private homes be sure to hand warning signs.

A search of the other 28 countries lists the GSD only in the Ukraine (restricted muzzle) and a country called Belarus (where no ownership under 18 and muzzle is required).

I believe that Ireland and Switzerland also require muzzles for GSD's, not sure.

But at any rate - why are GSD's being included in a ban by most of our insurance companies. The numbers and trends certainly don't justify it. This is not fair and not warranted.

PLEASE do not mention other breeds by name - This post is only addressing the GSD vs Insurance company regulations. This is a problem that needs to get resolved and involves only the GSD. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

I think they get the lists based on statistics alone. The list is pretty identical to top dogs on the bite dog list. I know that you said not to mention breeds by name, but here labs and St. Bernard's are on the list too and I found that weird and asked them to repeat themselves. It's rough because they can make any rules they want, it's their company. Have you tried State Farm? They are one of the only ones by me that don't have a list.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks. State Farm aged out my house (1923) so they are out of the picture. I was with SF for 10 years suddenly they raised my premium 3X over a 3 year period. I thought it was just insurance going up overall and paid it until I was forced to have fire only. Would have been nice if they had just told me they were phasing out older houses.

I looked at a lot of #'s to try to find out why this was happening. I just don't see them. Is there any way to appeal to the insurance commission that they are all regulated by for review? They are a for profit but heavily regulated against any form of discriminatory restrictions and I don't mean race or gender. There's stuff they cannot exclude from coverage if it is reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Thanks. State Farm aged out my house (1923) so they are out of the picture. I was with SF for 10 years suddenly they raised my premium 3X over a 3 year period. I thought it was just insurance going up overall and paid it until I was forced to have fire only. Would have been nice if they had just told me they were phasing out older houses.

I looked at a lot of #'s to try to find out why this was happening. I just don't see them. Is there any way to appeal to the insurance commission that they are all regulated by for review? They are a for profit but heavily regulated against any form of discriminatory restrictions and I don't mean race or gender. There's stuff they cannot exclude from coverage if it is reasonable.
Fighting an insurance company wouldn't be an easy task. My mom had insurance with one company for over 20 yrs and was dropped because of the breed of dog she owned. It's got to be a decision they make individually because not all have these lists. It would be nice if they would at least cover people with clauses or look at individual policies. Maybe require a CGC to be insured. That would be nice. If there is a fire, it has nothing to do with the breed of dog you own, it's just a loophole for them.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:26 AM
Crowned Member

The answer is enacting state legislation that forbids this practice, but so far only a few states have acted. In most states, this is totally legal.

This page lists companies to try--Chubb and Amica keep getting named (as well as Sf, which you said doesn't work in your case):
Home Insurance and Pets | MSPCA

More info here too:
https://usinsuranceagents.com/homeow...for-dog-owners
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank You! These are sources I have not tried yet. If state legislation is what is required, I may be able to make an impact with local Idaho reps. This may be something in our state that has absolutely no foundation with the GSD. I know that they are loved and respected here - just like a good gun - sorry, but that's the way the good ol' boys think up here
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:41 AM

keep in mind, insurance companies often get their numbers from hospitals and any bite requiring medical attention must be reported....this includes law enforcement / bites while on duty.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
keep in mind, insurance companies often get their numbers from hospitals and any bite requiring medical attention must be reported....this includes law enforcement / bites while on duty.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I have recently looked at the most available numbers and back 3-5 years on research I was doing on another topic. I just don't see the numbers to justify the GSD being on the insurance ban list. The numbers are very low on the GSD.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that. I have recently looked at the most available numbers and back 3-5 years on research I was doing on another topic. I just don't see the numbers to justify the GSD being on the insurance ban list. The numbers are very low on the GSD.
I don't think it matters how low. I think they take the top 10 no matter what the numbers or at least that is how it seemed when I compared it. They might be using data compiled within the company on claims they have had to pay in the past also. So if they had 10 claims and 2 were GSDs, they just made the list. Insurance companies don't like to pay out and I'm guessing bites cost lots of money.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:01 AM
Crowned Member

This is why we should be ready to go up and educate people who own our breed and,

1) let the dogs roam over their property and the neighbors, and all the way down the road;

2) bite people time and time again -- each one of those incidents put a bloody bad mark on our breed;

3) let their dogs crash out of their front door and go after delivery people, meter readers, joggers, Amish buggies, JWs, and anyone else who has the audacity to try and visit or even walk on by.

4) let their dogs bite children and then blame their boy friends, the breeder, the victim, the bystanders.

GSD owners today aren't too smart. Sorry, but it is true. There are statistics, but they do not reflect the whole story. They do not reflect the whole picture. We do not know how many incidents per number of GSDs out there. We do not necessarily know what percentage and what average the GSD bites are and average cost per incident.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page