Pet Limits on Property - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Question Pet Limits on Property

Hello All,

I am wondering what would be a good place to find information on pet limits in the different areas. I am looking to purchase a home in the next 1-2 years time frame and would like to be in an area where there are no limits.

I am in West Chester, OH currently and expect to be within 30 miles of this region.

I have one gsd now and would like to have atleast 2-3 more eventually as pets.

I googled for info and could not find a central website where i could plug in the counties and look for the limits. How do you multiple-dog owners determine the rules?

Thanks,
Phebe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phps01 View Post
Hello All,

I am wondering what would be a good place to find information on pet limits in the different areas. I am looking to purchase a home in the next 1-2 years time frame and would like to be in an area where there are no limits.

I am in West Chester, OH currently and expect to be within 30 miles of this region.

I have one gsd now and would like to have atleast 2-3 more eventually as pets.

I googled for info and could not find a central website where i could plug in the counties and look for the limits. How do you multiple-dog owners determine the rules?

Thanks,
Phebe.
You would have to contact each individual municipality to find out what their limits are. Some places may not have limits, but the county in which they are located in may have limits.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:00 PM

If you're working with a realtor they can find out for you also.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:04 PM

Check with the town hall about rules and regulations concerning your questions. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Hi Phebe -

When you're looking at different areas, I'd also recommend making sure that specific subdivisions don't have protective covenants or Homeowner Association (HOA) regulations that get in the way of large (or multiple) dog ownership. It's more common in newly constructed areas than it is in areas with older homes. Fencing regulations are a big one, with many new developments prohibiting visible fencing, or setting a maximum height of 4', or only allowing you to fence backyards and not front/side yards, etc. I work in the arch/construction industry, so I have the pleasure of dealing with this on a regular basis. One customer built a home in a subdivision that prohibits fencing unless you have a pool. She wanted to build a fence for her dogs, was declined the permit, so she dropped a cheap plastic pool in the middle of her yard and built the fence without a permit. She received a hefty fine. HOA's can be a royal pain, make sure you research before you buy.

I'll second the recommendation that you'll need to check with the individual municipalities. It's not fun, but there aren't any accurate central databases, and the regulations change constantly.

Good luck with your move!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Banned

It might be best to build yourself a margin. Many areas allow 3 but a litter will put you in violation. One close neighbor that "minds" your doggy situation can bring a war.

Look for an area that will not likely cause a problem with close neighbors. If it were affordable, I would acquire a kennel license and keep it current but inactive. This - only to preserve your rights. Moving into a residential area in close quarters is just asking for a problem. Be safe and headache free
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking for land(bigger lot size) , so it will definitely not be a new construction. I do like my privacy and would avoid neighbors for my own preference.
I won't be breeding or having litters...just a pack. Is it possible to get a kennel license for that too?

Thanks,
Phebe.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking for land(bigger lot size) , so it will definitely not be a new construction. I do like my privacy and would avoid neighbors for my own preference.
I won't be breeding or having litters...just a pack. Is it possible to get a kennel license for that too?

Thanks,
Phebe.
I think most places require a kennel license to have over a certain number of dogs on the premises. I wouldn't push for it if no litters are planned and you don't plan to exceed the limit. It's easy enough to check out. Just a call to the municipality that controls licensing can fill you in.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Thanks,
Phebe.
In my municipality, yep! One person I know here got "caught" with 5 dogs (the limit here is 4). Unrelated, not breeding.... He owned three, and two of his adult children moved home with their dogs. The town just made him apply and pay for the license, and all is well.

Agree with Stonevintage, finding a lot with privacy and space can be half the battle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:58 AM

well for one, I've never seen a limit below 3... so you're good there also, in my county you are allowed to have 1 litter per registered dam per year and the litter does not count against your limit until 4 or 6 months, the age of licensing.... you are also allowed to foster (short term) since dogs are allowed in the county unlicensed for 30days.

that said.... this only matters if there is a complaint or if you attempt to license a 4th dog under the same name/address.

but, kudos to you for looking ahead and abiding by the laws

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page