Has your dog ever sensed sinister characters? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Has your dog ever sensed sinister characters?

My girl used to bark at my neighbours and it used to be really annoying because they seemed alright to me....it turns out they weren't and it took a few months to realize that....since then she has barked at others, but in particular a character from my town whom I think is great....he had a very calm demeanor when my girl approached too.

Dog fighting is big in my country and I've began to realize that walking my dog around the place is like having a cop on the end of the lead.

Has anybody found themselves in the same situation and has it left answers in your mind? It's a bit weird too that my dog has left these answers in my head; weird for the other person I mean....people have often asked me if I'm a cop too although I'm not....I must come across as one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Crowned Member

Hmm.. well Titan has sensed something off about a few people and I always listen to him. When he was about 6 months, he was not fond of a crazy lady that approached me on our walk.. she called me a b**** American and spit at me.. that alone was a "you're not a nice person" indicator but then Titan's reaction to her was barking and growling and he'd never done that before. When he was a little older a man appeared across the street from my house seemingly looking at my house. Then he was gone. A day or so later I was walking Titan in the fields behind my house and Titan alerted to someone behind me and the man was walking about 100 yards behind me. He ended up catching up to me and started asking to pet Titan. Titan would have no part of it, wanting to sniff him but not let the man touch him. Gave me the creeps. I immediately went home and documented that because it was REALLY creepy.

Basically since he started acting like that with only select people.. I listen to that, even if I can't see anything wrong immediately.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Crowned Member

I completely trust their judge of character. If they are acting weird with someone I take note.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Knighted Member

I do wonder. I don't put a lot of significance in Newlie's regular barking because it's usually a squirrel, a rabbit, someone walking down the street, etc. His body language and barking usually means there is someone at the door. The only time that I have seen him with what he thought was a real threat (and I an not sure if it was or not) was a man jogging up behind us at night. He wheeled around to confront the guy, was completely silent, completely immobile and completely focused. I pulled Newlie to the other side of the road but he lunged at the man as he went by. Never before or since seen that kind of behavior from him.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I completely trust their judge of character. If they are acting weird with someone I take note.

What if you see that character again? Do you build up a repertoire of information on them like a cop would monitor a suspect?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
I do wonder. I don't put a lot of significance in Newlie's regular barking because it's usually a squirrel, a rabbit, someone walking down the street, etc. His body language and barking usually means there is someone at the door. The only time that I have seen him with what he thought was a real threat (and I an not sure if it was or not) was a man jogging up behind us at night. He wheeled around to confront the guy, was completely silent, completely immobile and completely focused. I pulled Newlie to the other side of the road but he lunged at the man as he went by. Never before or since seen that kind of behavior from him.
Was that the first time somebody was jogging behind you getting closer over time though?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdemack View Post
What if you see that character again? Do you build up a repertoire of information on them like a cop would monitor a suspect?
I guess I do. I pay closer attention. A good example is my neighbors, my dogs love one of them, that can take or leave one of them and they don't care for the other. The one they don't care for is kinda creepy. There used to be some trouble in the neighborhood and they say it was him. He tries to be to nice sometimes and insists the dogs will be ok with him. My dogs stare him down every time. They think this same guy tried breaking into a house across the street. I really don't want my dogs to like him. I do believe someone(and it would have to be someone who thought the dogs weren't an issue) tried to break in. The bottom of my door was kicked and next to the window is Midnites claw marks. Midnite shredded that wall and I'm positive someone was trying to come in. Midnite also charged this same neighbor when he stood on my fence to look in the yard. He hasn't been around in a while but I do watch for him in particular.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 09-24-2015 at 09:30 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch
I think they can be great judges of characters, yes, but, I also don't think it's always spot on with every dog.

Sometimes a smell throws them off, or someone who is awkward but not dangerous, or they might be having an off day, or feel bad, or any number of things.

Case in point: My own son, who is what we suspect to be High Functioning Aspergers. He's also not a huge dog person, he's more of a cat person. Oh he likes dogs, and he'll play with ours. Other dogs though he doesn't flock to, and sometimes he's a little awkward and off putting without meaning to be, which can set some dogs off also.

So, yes, while I will listen to their judge of character on a person, I also listen to my own gut and look at the situation for what it is. Many times, people who have a bad feeling about someone because their dog does, would have that same feeling if the dog wasn't there. (not always of course)

~Johanna~

Baily ~ GSD x ~ (Jan 2001 - Jan 2016)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy ~ Schnauzer X Jack Russell ~ 11yrs
Merlin ~ Solid Black Cat DOB 4/5/2015 <Super Stalker Ninja Kitty>
Carrot ~ Solid Black Cat DOB (est) 7/15/2015
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Banned

If I listened to my dog and took every bark of hers seriously, it would mean all men are not to be trusted. She hasn't met a man yet that she hasn't wanted to turn in to a nice tasty snack.

She's a little more selective with women, but women I know personally. My sister in law may as well be an angel. She's so sweet and kind, and goes out of her way to help anyone that needs it. Lyka can't stand her.

Basically she only likes small male children under the age of 8, and females up to the age of 17. I'd have a very narrow window of people I would be able to associate with if I listened to her, and I'd probably be labeled the creepy kid neighbor if did
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Knighted Member

There have been people coming up behind us before, but in the daylight, I think at least part of it was the fact it was dark. I think it activated his protective instincts and the guy was probably harmless, but I never saw Newlie like that before or since so I will never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page