Fencing concern-- advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Fencing concern-- advice?

My White GSD does perfectly well with our "dog-ear style" wooden fence, 4' in the front yard and 6' in the back. He has never tried to dig out, climb, jump over, etc. We are getting a second dog from a rescue in a week or so. Husky/GSD. Only 4 months old, but I'm nervous about the husky escape artist reputation. Does anyone have experience with this type of mix? Should I be overly concerned, or will the new little girl probably follow our big guy's lead as far as boundaries? I am wondering if I can trust this new dog outside like we do with our GSD. I certainly don't leave him out there unattended all day, but sometimes he'll be out for an hour or so by himself. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:04 PM
Crowned Member

I'd see trouble coming your way.

How about installing an "invisible fence" and I do mean the brand name?

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

I had a husky who I adopted from the humane society. She was 4 when I first moved into my house. The backyard had a 4 ft. chicken wire fence which she easily sailed over. I replaced it with a 6 ft. chain link and she didn't attempt to get out but I did keep the gates locked. But when a wind storm blew one part down - she gingerly picked her way over the down parts and was off. She also was very good at escaping from the car or even when I would change her leads from the short one to a long line. Interesting a house down the street has only a 4ft. chain link and 2 huskies. One is older and the other much younger. But the older one always respected the fence and when they got the pup, she did also. So, with the 6 ft. fence you have in the backyard and with your other dog, I don't think you will have a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017

Last edited by Mary Beth; 09-23-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page