Dogs getting aggressive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Dogs getting aggressive

I'm getting my girl in about 7 weeks, can't wait! Of course my mind just keeps thinking and thinking. More out of curiosity then anything else, the thought has accurred to me what do you do if this full grown dog for whatever reason all of a sudden turns and growls like hey, I'm about to attack kind of growl at you? Has anyone had this happen and what did you do to handle it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 PM

I'm hoping you are not feeling intimidated and you don't even have your puppy yet.That's just not going to happen unless you've chosen a super high drive WL,then it's a possibility.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I'm hoping you are not feeling intimidated and you don't even have your puppy yet.That's just not going to happen unless you've chosen a super high drive WL,then it's a possibility.

No, I'm not feeling intimidated. It's just my mind being overactive because I'm excited. It was a thought that ran through my head. I grew up with a St. Bernard, so big dogs don't scare me. I also years ago worked for humane society in the kennels. Ty for your reply!

Also, it's just out of curiosity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Can't say I see it happening then either with a high drive WL.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Handler aggression does not require a high-drive working line dog. There are plenty of handler-aggressive dogs across all breeds and backgrounds.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

OP seems to be describing a dog that is not wired right vs handler aggression.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Banned

I've had it happen with a rescue before (won't go into breed because it will likely start a debate, but it wasn't a GSD) while on leash. I tether my rescues to me while we are acclimating them to my home. He didn't take well to me getting up and walking away when he was having a nice rest. A quick correction with the leash and a firm no had him even more angry, and he went up the leash on me. I kneed him in the chest (not hard, just brought my knee up so he couldn't get to my face), stepped on the leash when he got down, gave him a firm "sit" command, and kept him in that sit for a good 10 minutes. Gave him the "lets go" command, and acted like nothing was amiss. He went up the leash at me again once more a few days later, same actions on my part.

Some older dogs will test you. It's no biggie if you know how to maintain control and don't freak out.

But, take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm not a dog trainer, it's just what has worked for me in the past. I've rescued a number of adult dogs, many different breeds, and for the most part have had little to no issues. You just need to make them aware that you're the "boss" from the beginning, don't allow them to intimidate you or push past the boundaries you have setup.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:19 PM

here's my tuppence worth. < and i so get thinking and thinking. This has already started for me, and my pup's not even arriving till Jan lol.

I have owned, worked, trained 4 adult males, purely working lines, high octaine, high prey drive. And all of them, have an off switch, so couch potatoes indoors, or, they get kicked outside, so they make sure to roll around quietly, make soft noises, so i wont hear them wrestling indoors etc. There is a VAST difference between the working and show lines energy and drive levels. All working lines in IPO are temperament tested before training begins, so you know, from the off, if you have a dog that is willing to fight. And these dogs are rare, even in IPO. Most dogs avoid, not go toward aggression.

I have fostered 8 other GSD's, usually surrendered at 9 months, when teenage kicks in, and dog decides it is bossm, a temporarily delusionary system, which i train them through and out the other side of teenage. retrained and rehomed. All pet stock, conformation lines.
NEVER has a dog turned on me, or any of my family members. Even in the first six months of living with us. These dogs love a pack leader to follow every step asked of them.
They lurve me, and will do everything to continue our happy relationship. And the feeling is mutual.
There is a saying in my family: If you cant train a GSD, you cant train dogs. They are so easy to train, seriously easy. Always ready for the next training session/game/job to do.
And by the time its a decent size (9 months), your baby girl, as you'll think of her, wouldnt dream of turning on her pack leader!
Before she's fully grown however, those puppy teeth are real sharp, and they are land sharks as pups, well the full working lines are. But never aggressive. Just known to be mouthers for longer than the show line GSD's. So kiss goodbye to your lovely, pre GSD hands, and say hello to scarred up old hands early. Im in my 50's, my hands look 92!
And GSD's come with a sense of humour, play tricks on me, jump me if im weeding in garden for a rumpus etc. All very strong dogs, at 50kg a piece. That's 150kg of dog im walking loose leashed, through a animal sanctuary. And they dont chase nothing. Coz i said they cant. They are so great, even the wildlife dont move if we are approaching. Including our geese. who can be honery sods when mating season is on.
And same 3 dogs, in a special paddock, can lure course rabbits, take it down, kill it,prance around showing off their prize, in what seems like seconds to me.
Same dogs, that grab my grandsons padded nappy butt, and pull him away gently from edge of deck.
Same dogs that will round up visitors into the kitchen area, where they are kept till someone notices what's happening.
Same dogs, that when pups, or other dogs are literally, thrown over my fence abandoned, i get home from work, and the dogs have taken good care of new arrival.
A storm this winter, blew in a chicken into the dog pound. It was safe n sound, being cleaned up by my girl in her bed, till i could take over, and return it to owner 4 properties away.

Dogs know, who's boss. Be the boss, and they'll follow you over a cliff if you asked them to. Be a pack leader providing: lots of training, lots of love, and even more rules. Dogs love rules to obey.

Last edited by Jackal; 09-22-2015 at 06:24 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschrest View Post
I've had it happen with a rescue before (won't go into breed because it will likely start a debate, but it wasn't a GSD) while on leash. I tether my rescues to me while we are acclimating them to my home. He didn't take well to me getting up and walking away when he was having a nice rest. A quick correction with the leash and a firm no had him even more angry, and he went up the leash on me. I kneed him in the chest (not hard, just brought my knee up so he couldn't get to my face), stepped on the leash when he got down, gave him a firm "sit" command, and kept him in that sit for a good 10 minutes. Gave him the "lets go" command, and acted like nothing was amiss. He went up the leash at me again once more a few days later, same actions on my part.

Some older dogs will test you. It's no biggie if you know how to maintain control and don't freak out.

But, take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm not a dog trainer, it's just what has worked for me in the past. I've rescued a number of adult dogs, many different breeds, and for the most part have had little to no issues. You just need to make them aware that you're the "boss" from the beginning, don't allow them to intimidate you or push past the boundaries you have setup.
Any one of my dogs would probably act like the one you described in the same situation. I would even say expect it. I would consider that normal with some breeds. None that I raised from a puppy would do that to me and that is what I think OP is talking about.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Any one of my dogs would probably act like the one you described in the same situation. I would even say expect it. I would consider that normal with some breeds. None that I raised from a puppy would do that to me and that is what I think OP is talking about.
Oh sorry, I thought she was getting an adult dog, not a pup. I've never had a pup I raised have any issues, this was a 4yr old rescue. I didn't just jump and start going, I called his name and said "lets go" and stood. That's when he started his bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page