Starting to see more pics of dogs swimming in pools. Bad for their coats/skin? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Starting to see more pics of dogs swimming in pools. Bad for their coats/skin?

I would never let my dogs swim in a pool that is shocked with chemicals/chlorine, or whatever people use, unless it is natural and I research it first. I don't ever remember seeing pics of dogs in pools, but lately I'm starting to see some on social media. I can't imagine this being a good thing for their coats and skin. Wondering if other people have experience with this and know if it adversely affected their dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 06:33 PM

granted, not everyone treats their pools with the same chemicals -that said, the majority do. I had access to 3 pools where my dogs swam regularly (3-4x a week, approx 7-8 months out of the year for 3-4yrs) with no adverse effects. perhaps occasional dry skin but I can't positively equate that to the pool exposure - their coats never suffered at all. solid diets (totw, Canidae, raw during that time period) and a good quality shampoo on rare bath occasions.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 09-20-2015 at 06:37 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Just thought of this too: what about drinking the water? I know that when we humans swim sometimes we'll accidentally swallow pool water. I've watched dogs in our doggie pool (pure water, no chemicals) and they'll drink from the pool as they swim or lay in it. Also, dogs drink the water in ponds as they swim. I wonder what drinking chemically-treated pool water would do to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 06:53 PM

shallow water allows them to stand and drink for longer periods of time.... mine never drank while actively swimming (think, jumping straight into 4+ ft of water) and if I ever caught an attempt at the stairs I'd say "ah ah" and direct them to the water bowl. I'm sure they'd injesting some when grabbing balls or toys but overall, this really wasn't a big area of concern, I'd honestly worry more about drinking from a pond.

in the area of Southern California where I lived, probably 75% of homeowners had pools, many many dogs swam on a regular basis.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

chlorine very drying .
concern would be the inhalation of chlorine evaporating - so lungs

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

Southern California: We have always had a pool. When I was a child we could not keep our golden retriever out of the pool. He would swim year round. We had three dogs growing up. They all drank out of the pool. The all lived to old age.

I have three dogs now. (9, 8 & 2) The GSD would swim all day if he could. We block the pool off and let him in once a day. Only because last summer his undercoat started to smell like cheese. Anyway, two of my dogs love to swim and they are fine. They all drink out of the pool with no ill effects. Riley did have health problems, but it was something he was born with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Mine swam daily without issue. I only use chlorine once a week and they don't go in for at least 24 hours. In between I use stuff that is comparable to chlorine but for people that are allergic to chlorine and can't use it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page