Pregnant - Is this aggression? Normal? o.o??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Pregnant - Is this aggression? Normal? o.o???

Hi everyone! I've posted here before, that my husband and I are expecting due in February 2016. He did two things in the last week 1/2 or so that have me kind of wondering what's going on and how to take it. Let first start off by saying he's never shown any aggression to any of us, ever, never bitten any of us, etc. Last week or so my husband was tickling me and I was laughing but quickly became an, "ahhh" I was trying to get up from him tickling me. Riley ran in, barked some, jumped up by us and whined pawing at us. We kept just playing. He's never had a bad reaction to me getting tickled. When my husband didn't stop he came running back in did the same thing, then after he barked and whined I felt his mouth go over my calf on either side all the way. He didn't bite down, and there wasn't really any pressure. It's kind of like when a cat lightly puts their mouth on you and they just hold their mouth there. It startld me because he's never done anything like that. I wasn't sure why he did it, if he thought I was being hurt and was trying to do something about it? I was worried it might be opposite, he thought I was hurting my husband (not sure how???) so put his mouth on my leg to say stop? Not sure?

Next thing happened yesterday night. I was going to bed and my husaband was saying good night and went to talk to my belly - to talk to the baby. He knelt down on the ground and started talking. I'm not sure where Riley was when he first started talking, if in the kitchen or the back room? We heard him bark very loud and we both assumed he was barking at something outside like he does. So when he came running around the corner of the couch we thought he was doing what he usually does when he barks at things outside, was coming into listen in the room for things outside. However instead of running past us he ran up very fast, stopped abruptly at my side and barked at my husband. My husband leaned back a little like, "what just happened? >.>?" We were pretty surprised. Riley started to walk off and my husband continued talking to my belly. Riley made this, "hrmmm" noise turned around, ran back at him stopping at my side and barked again. My husband was leaning into kiss my belly when he ran up and Riley pawed at him. When my husband sat back on his knees Riley moved partially in front of me. When he stood up, Riley moved out of the way. He didn't have (has never had) an issue with us kissing, hugging, etc. He just walked off. So with this is it that he's just extremely protective of the belly? o.0 Does he see my husband as a threat? I really hope not. My husband was using a louder/deeper voice but not by much then the one he speaks with.

I'm not sure who Riley see's as the head of us, for the longest time I thought it was me but for the last several months I've been thinking it was my husband. I saw a Ceaser Milan episode where a couple had a baby and the german shepherd aggression shot through the roof. I don't remember if there was any to begin with in the family, or how long after the baby it started, etc. but I remember that their dog wouldn't let dad go wherever the baby was at. I don't remember if it also eventually included the mom (not letting mom see the baby too)? We want him to be protective, but I'm not sure if this is too much or okay? I don't want to mistakenly somehow give the wrong signals that it's fine (like not doing anything). I'm wondering about that, and if it's not right could it get worse as I become farther along / really worse after we have the baby? Babies cry and I don't want him to become aggressive thinking that someone hurt the baby. Is this a sign he might be like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Crowned Member

Its not unusual for dogs to be uncomfortable with the tickling, playing around stuff, and then direct it at the person who's in their perception losing. I tend to look at it in real general terms, everything you posted, as the whole structure of your life is changing and he's trying to figure out how to deal with it.

I usually just remove the dogs from being able to try and decide whats good and bad, whether its with some obedience or in the kennel. I'm not looking at it as protective, its nerves and I'm not going to put him in a position of being able to act on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page