Small Spiral Staircase and 40Kgs (88 Pounds) German Sheppard? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Small Spiral Staircase and 40Kgs (88 Pounds) German Sheppard?

Hello
I am one of those who lives in a small house with my dog, of course a one hour and a half walk in the morning and another one of those at night do the trick to keep my dog happy in the small house.
Anyway I am thinking of moving to another small house, but this one has a small spiral Staircase, picture below. (The decision of moving depends on my dog)
I am confident to be able to train him to go up and down, he has a good training for other complex things, but I do not want to put him at risk, especially when I am not home.
Does anyone have experience with this? I would love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance
Mat

staircase picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sav0kg9owx..._5073.PNG?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 02:53 AM

Wow! I've never seen a staircase like that. Does it go up to a crucial area of the house? ie: does the dog NEED to go up and down it?
Personally I don't think I'd let my dog go up or down. If absolutely necessary, I'd only do it if I had him harnessed and could guide him... Even then I think it's an accident waiting to happen, and I'd probably gate it off. It doesn't appear that there's much traction on them either, and if your Shepherd is anything like mine, he'll get over confident and go up/down WAY too fast.

Just my two cents.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 AM
Elite Member

Here are the disadvantages for people, some aspects may apply to your dog: they are difficult for some people to use, especially the elderly. The circular movement as one climbs or descends can also be unnerving to some people. It can also present problems for large people or those unsure of their balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 05:14 AM
Banned

I don't like it myself, if it's a must I'd have the dog sleep downstairs, rather than risk going up and down those steps on a daily basis.

I am sure he can doit but if he has a bad morning going downstairs one day he could get badly hurt!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

I did a reno on a small (cabbagetown) house and used this Toronto firm Steptoe & Wife Cast Iron Spiral Staircases | Toronto, Ontario . Kept it in the Victorian style. Pretty. Bear in mind where the staircase goes to because you aren't going to be able to move a whole lot of furniture up those stairs . In my situation the house was a rental and the staircase opened a loft area for a computer-study-office space .
Good for cats , a big GSD , I'd keep him on the main floor and off the stairs . Pitch and turns being a problem.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't make my dogs go up that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 03:01 PM

depends on how agile, coordinated and determined the dog is. I lived in a short time in a place that had stairs like these - I showed my dog up them only enough times for her to feel comfortable should she ever attempt when I weren't home but otherwise discouraged her from going up.... "no" "wait" and "stay" were enough. I never had any problems or saw signs of her having been upstairs while away. her food, water, bed, toys, (aka her life) were all downstairs.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

I'd be a little leery going up/down them myself. If it were me, I'd block them with a baby gate and just let the dog stay on the first floor!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for you opinions, I will probably pass in that house and look for something with straight stairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page