Am I trying to change her too much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Am I trying to change her too much?

Hey guys! Some of you may remember that I took in an older dog (around 7 or 8) earlier this year. She was an outside dog her whole life, with her only human interaction being her owners putting food and water in her kennel. Since I've had her, she's done great with housebreaking and learning commands. She's happy with being crated and enjoys playing. She also craves attention from people.

However, we recently got our yard fenced in at our new house, and every time I let her outside to go potty, she looks so content and happy. Inside she's hyper all the time, almost like she's uncomfortable or stressed out. Outside she just lays down and enjoys the view/smells. She has great recall inside, but since I've been letting her in the yard she doesn't want to come back inside.

Am I trying to change her too much by making her an inside dog? I've always been a firm believer that dogs belong inside with their families and I don't like people who just leave their dogs outside all the time. But she honestly seems to prefer it. Given her age, is she just set in her ways?

I've thought about compromising and leaving her outside during the day (my husband works nights so he's home during the day) and bringing her inside for meals and at night. Any opinions or experience with dogs like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Banned

Maybe a doggie door so she can come in and out at will? I have a 3yr old rescue that was the same, lived her whole life outside and had little to no interaction. She never wanted to come inside either until I unblocked the doggy doors. She spends more time inside than out now. But it may just be a coincidence because I did it when the weather changed and we are at 115 during the day regularly.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

How long have you had her? In my experience, it can take six+ months for a dog to settle into new surroundings, or to adapt to a major change in their life/family structure. Her having been an outside dog all her life, it might take longer for her to feel comfortable indoors. Though I don't see any harm in letting her stay outside on her own if she enjoys it. I think what you are planning to do - outside during the day, in at night - is a nice compromise. As winter approaches and the weather turns colder/rainier, you can get her used to gradually spending more time inside.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschrest View Post
Maybe a doggie door so she can come in and out at will? I have a 3yr old rescue that was the same, lived her whole life outside and had little to no interaction. She never wanted to come inside either until I unblocked the doggy doors. She spends more time inside than out now. But it may just be a coincidence because I did it when the weather changed and we are at 115 during the day regularly.
I thought about a doggie door, but it's not feasible because I have other dogs that will dig if they have free access to the yard. She is ok with being inside, but she just seemed so happy outside off leash!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Banned

I think a "doggie" door is a great idea if you have an escape proof yard. Just knowing that she can go out to her "known" space when she wants to might just help her feel more comfortable about staying inside.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
How long have you had her? In my experience, it can take six+ months for a dog to settle into new surroundings, or to adapt to a major change in their life/family structure. Her having been an outside dog all her life, it might take longer for her to feel comfortable indoors. Though I don't see any harm in letting her stay outside on her own if she enjoys it. I think what you are planning to do - outside during the day, in at night - is a nice compromise. As winter approaches and the weather turns colder/rainier, you can get her used to gradually spending more time inside.
I've had her since the beginning of January. She has come sooooo far since I brought her home, but she may still be adjusting! She currently spends all day indoors other than potty breaks and leashed walks. She has had a lot to adjust to since she had never been on a leash before or been around other dogs (and I have multiple other dogs). When we first got her, she would never sit down or lay down inside unless she was crated. She would just run around constantly and pant, and she had no idea how to play with other dogs, toys, or people. She's now to the point where she will run and play with my other dogs and once she's tired, she'll lay down in the kitchen or living room and sleep. So I'm very proud of her progress! She's never been off leash outside since I got her since our yard hasn't been fenced in and I don't trust her off-leash. I guess I'm just worried that I'm focused more about forcing her into my lifestyle and beliefs instead of me adjusting to what she likes best. But maybe being outside off leash is just so refreshing to her that she needs more time to adjust to being able to have both inside and outside time?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Master Member

Some dogs just love it outside, wick has been an inside dog his whole life but would just lay outside and watch the sky all day if he was allowed ! He seriously would stay out there in 200 degree whether if I let him. If she is safe and secure and has someone that can let her in if she wants back in I personally see nothing wrong with that, as long as she still gets love, play time, proper care and attention it shouldn't matter (of course that's just my opinion).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick View Post
Some dogs just love it outside, wick has been an inside dog his whole life but would just lay outside and watch the sky all day if he was allowed ! He seriously would stay out there in 200 degree whether if I let him. If she is safe and secure and has someone that can let her in if she wants back in I personally see nothing wrong with that, as long as she still gets love, play time, proper care and attention it shouldn't matter (of course that's just my opinion).
She will still get plenty of love, care and attention if we go that route! I would prefer her to stay inside, but she seems to love being outside so much that I don't want to deprive her.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annap24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wick View Post
She will still get plenty of love, care and attention if we go that route! I would prefer her to stay inside, but she seems to love being outside so much that I don't want to deprive her.
I figured she would since you seem to care so much I think you should go with your gut! If she is truly happy outside the. Let her do it and bring her in at night for one on one play time or cuddle time. Do you hike or run? We don't have a fenced yard so we take wick on adventures as much as possible so he can be outside. He especially loves camping since he gets to stay outside the whole day! (Except of course bedtime since he sleeps in the tent with us). You are really doing a great job with her, she is so lucky to have someone who cares so much about her happiness!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annap24 View Post
I thought about a doggie door, but it's not feasible because I have other dogs that will dig if they have free access to the yard. She is ok with being inside, but she just seemed so happy outside off leash!
You can get those doggie doors that open with the collar, so only she can use the door if she has the collar on.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page