Mistakes You Have Made With Your Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Mistakes You Have Made With Your Dogs

I posted this on a different thread, but thought it might be interesting to talk about some of the mistakes we have made with dogs. All of us make mistakes, particularly when we are new to dogs/ and or german shepherds.

I will go first. One of the silliest thing I did when I first got Newlie was to hold his ball up in the air. I did that to try to keep him from grabbing it out of my hand because that hurt but, of course, HE thought I wanted him to jump up and get it. Then, when he jumped up on me, I would fuss at him, poor boy. It took a little while, too, for me to start seeing my behavior through his eyes and realize what I was doing.

I still make mistakes, but luckily Newlie loves anyway. So, does anybody else have one to share? I believe there is a quote that says to admit a mistake is to just say that you are smarter today than you were yesterday. I'm going to go with that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Knighted Member

I listened to a "positive only" trainer who wouldn't entertain the idea of corrections. Bad idea. Now I know for next time that although of course I'd prefer to keep everything fun and positive, a well placed and moderate correction earlier on can nip things in the bud.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM

I was watching tv and the two dogs at my feet got into a serious disagreement over a toy.Like a fool,I reached down to confiscate it without telling them to leave it first.Got a couple of nice puncture wounds from the Yorkie.Brilliant

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Banned

I took in that litter of puppies. That will haunt me the rest of my days.

I think my biggest mistake is in not listening to my gut instincts with Lyka, and doing what others say works for most dogs. I've finally just come to terms with the fact that she isn't "most dogs" and will likely never be. I've notified the trainer I was using that I will no longer be using her, and will go back to training on my own. She was blossoming with me, and has turned into Cujo under the trainers guidance. Now I have to correct a months worth of mistakes and hope I can get her at least back to being reactive but not attacking. Sigh

She is by far the best mistake I've ever made though, and I would go back and rescue her again, even knowing the nightmare of a beast she can be
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

OMG, I have made so many mistakes, too many to list... My very first dog on my own, a part spitz, I put down liquid which was supposed to make her NOT pee in an area, turned out I put down PEE HERE liquid... I once too Stella to the vet for a lump, which turned out to be a pimple.

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:29 PM

I'll tell ya, this board has assisted in helping me overcome and understand my mistakes with Leo. My biggest was keeping him separated from our senior dog (Shane) so long (in an ex-pen, no less!). In the beginning, when mouthiness almost got to be too much (see past posts :-/), inconsistent training really slowed down any progress...consistency in command, correction, and continual training are what we work on DAILY (recommended pretty universally throughout the board threads and from our awesome 1 on 1 trainer!). But when he turns those chocolate eyes on me, or chills out right next to Shane, or when just lays his head on my lap---all the mistakes kind of don't mean anything :-)

Tina/Mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Master Member

Ugh I thought when "socializing" a puppy you are supposed to make them get petted by everyone to see that they are all nice, which included me making him meet people when he was scared and barking.... Well he always ended up loving them in the end but of course he learned that every person he saw was going to be in his face regardless of him being afraid so he is reactive.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

I was so busy socializing Max with people I wasn't focusing on the dog socializing part of it. I started puppy class when he was 15 weeks old where they did not interact but learned to be near each other. I wish I had done that sooner. My name is Jen and I am owner of a dog reactive dog. I made many mistakes and I'm sure I will make more.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-18-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Banned

Lesson one (OS WL GSD) ... not knowing what a crate was and it's "hidden" values??
Lesson Two Overemphasizing the value of exercise!
Lesson three Underestimating the value of "Structured walks!"

Don't do those.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

You all make me feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page