Am I doing enough for my GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Am I doing enough for my GSD?

Hello all!
I am checking in with the more experienced GSD owners, to make sure I am taking the best possible care of my GSD. Vega is fed high quality food, gets a walk and/or a game of fetch nearly every day, and gets lots of love and snuggles, however, we don't have lots of training titles, she is a bit leash/fence reactive, and except for the occasional raid on the litter box, she has good house manners. Vega isn't left alone for long periods of time, but I do have work and school, so there are times where it is just her and the cat.
I guess my question is, does it matter that we don't have a bunch of training titles or are involved in a sport? Should I be doing more for her? She has a few toys, but isn't super toy oriented. Vega seems happy enough, but I worry. Does anyone have any advice about mental stimuli or advice about training? While Vega isn't the first dog in my life, she is "my first" in terms of her not being a family dog. Or maybe someone just some offer some reassurance or pointers about what I am doing, or what makes the best GSD parent? Is there even such a thing?
I have wanted a GSD for ages and ages, and have done loads of research about GSDs, so I knew what I was getting into, but I still want to make sure I am taking the best possible care of my dog.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Vega-gurl; 09-14-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:00 AM

Sounds like your doing a fine job ....... Now please relax and enjoy the happiness that she will bring you , don't over think it to much ...... If she looks happy then she is happy
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:11 AM
Banned

Bless you Vega Gurl! I came to this same feeling when my girl was about 8 months old.

What you read here includes details on some of the top working/sport and show dogs in the nation. Don't let that get you down and don't compare. The fact is that 95% of GSD's are owned by regular every day pet owners (with a great eye for breed selection).

The only importance is good food, enough exercise bonding love and attention. Enjoy your GSD - you will know if you are providing what is needed. Your dog will surely let you know if you are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 03:47 AM
Banned

Well, I certainly have no shortage of advice!

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7165106-post3.html

Ask questions and welcome aboard!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
What you read here includes details on some of the top working/sport and show dogs in the nation. Don't let that get you down and don't compare. The fact is that 95% of GSD's are owned by regular every day pet owners (with a great eye for breed selection).
can you tell me which members have the top working/sport and show dogs in the nation? i'm looking for a puppy and would like to contact those members to see where they got their dogs or if they're breeding them.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Crowned Member

Vega, ahh, the kitty litter buffet. Sounds like your dog is happy, don't fret the titles! Not everyone shows/trains/agility etc. their dog. Personally, my boy has the initials "P.E.T."

And, Cracked, you should start your own thread under looking for breeders, also state where you are so others can help. Good luck

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'm pretty content with the P.E.T title too, but if there was something more that I should be providing for Vega, I want to make sure she is getting it. I really appreciate the feedback.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot I do specifically for my dog. If it isn't fun for me, I wouldn't do it.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:03 AM

I think you should do whatever makes you and your dog happy. However, I think that they know when you're enjoying yourself, and in turn are more likely to also enjoy it - and vice versa.

Having said that, I do like seeing working breeds being worked in some form or another. That could even mean household chores

~ Babyawn Bruno Zen (Tchaikovsky) 01/09/2014
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post
And, Cracked, you should start your own thread under looking for breeders, also state where you are so others can help. Good luck
sorry, i've read some of the breeder recommendations in my area and none of them have the national level dogs that poster was talking about. i'm willing to ship when it comes to a good dog so i was hoping to just quickly get an answer about who on this forum has those high level dogs. my apologies, didn't realize there were strict rules to gathering information on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page