How do you know when your dog is mature? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

How do you know when your dog is mature?

This is my first dog so I don't know exactly what to expect of her as an adult....she is 3 in December...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

I think it depends on the dog. Physically, a german shepherd is mature by age 3, but emotinally is different. My Sting had a lot of pup in him right up until age 4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:06 PM

My girls were definitely "grown up" at age 3. Now, Russell has 5 months to go till he hits the 3 year mark. I'm not holding out any hope that he magically becomes mature then. I keep telling him "one day when you are five, you are going to be the best dog ever!". I'm not sure which one of us that I'm trying to convince.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:23 PM

just like with people, dogs are constantly maturing and there are quite a few factors that slow or speed up that process. of my 2 current males I could tell they had matured not because of things they started or stopped doing but more so how they handled stressful or stimulating situations. personalities play a big part too... my 2yr old is more mature than my other dog was at 5... for him it took losing my older/dominate female (who was more mature than both these guys by 1) to put his big boy pants on but still... personality wise he is still pretty goofy in play and a bit high strung. another thing I notice is how differently training sinks in.... that moment when things you've been working on just click and everything comes together.

so.... it's very individual and something you just "know" when it happens, somewhere between 1 and 5.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

Deja appears to be more mature after training and exercise. Besides age, it also depends on these factors I think.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Crowned Member

Even though max is almost 11 months and still a pup i have hard time seeing him any other way. I do see glimmers of maturity but deep down i always think he will keep that puppy/goofy side.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

I think each dog is different, Jazzy has always been very serious and adult like even as a puppy so I didn't feel there was ever a significant change in her personality

Delgado on the other hand, when he was about 2.5 I really started noticing less and less 'puppy brain' moments as I called them and he was able to pay attention much easier and I didn't have to watch him as much as I had previously. Plus I saw him making the right decisions without my prompting as well. That's when I started saying he was growing up and maturing mentally

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:20 PM

My first dog was "smart" but become super "smart" and mature around 2 years old, bottom line each dog will be different. My present dog is only around 9 months and time will tell when it will mature I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page