So... This happened. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

So... This happened.

Dog, playing 'too rough' is shot at dog park in Houston - National Dogs | Examiner.com

Dog parks...lol

Just saw the date on it has probably been posted before but yeah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Master Member

There's never a shortage of trigger-happy degenerates.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Knighted Member

Ahhh, another reason to never go to a dog park with a GSD (or any other dog, for that matter!). JMO.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Master Member

Must be a thing in Houston dog parks. I posted a similar article a few months ago where a man shot and killed a GSD pup in the dog park on a busy Sunday afternoon w/ lots of families (and children) present. The GSD pup was "playing too rough" too.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

I don't let my own dogs play "too rough" with each other. What would make a person think that somebody else would tolerate such play from another dog?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I don't let my own dogs play "too rough" with each other. What would make a person think that somebody else would tolerate such play from another dog?
The breed of dog often determines how "rough" the play is perceived by other people.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Because they're at a dog park. Dog park people usually think that rough is how dogs play, that's why people take their under exercised, untrained dogs to dog parks to 'blow off steam'. That's why these things happen. And that's why I don't take my dogs to dog parks.

There are some really nutso people out there. It's scary. Always something to keep in mind when you own powerful breeds.

Eli GSD - RN RA RE RAE SD-S SCRB1 HIC CGN TEC
Riot GSD - RN RA RE SD-S SD-A HIC CGN
Cajun GSD - Evie All Canadian - Sweetie APBT - Logan ACD
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osito23 View Post
The breed of dog often determines how "rough" the play is perceived by other people.
Perhaps rough play by certain breeds of dogs, or any breed of dogs, is indicative of what most likely will follow?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Knighted Member

Never have taken Newlie and never will. Some people on this forum do take their dogs to dog parks and say they have done so for years with no problem but my feeling is that everything is always OK until one day, suddenly, it isn't. And sadly, sometimes it only takes one incident for there to be irreparable damage. So, while I hope that things continue to go well for them, I wouldn't count it. To me, it's like playing with a loaded gun, sooner or later somebody is going to get hurt. And bear in mind that whenever there is an altercation, it won't matter if a smaller dog is trying to rip your dog's face off, the big dog will always get the blame and be the one called "dangerous."
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelia View Post
Because they're at a dog park. Dog park people usually think that rough is how dogs play, that's why people take their under exercised, untrained dogs to dog parks to 'blow off steam'. That's why these things happen. And that's why I don't take my dogs to dog parks.

There are some really nutso people out there. It's scary. Always something to keep in mind when you own powerful breeds.
Not sure what dog parks are like where you live, but most of the people that go to the same ones that I do have dogs that are well behaved and well exercised, exercise is one of the primary purposes most people do use dog parks. The dog park people in my area do not think that rough play is how dogs play, nor do they allow or appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page