Feeding A Puppy A Raw Diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Feeding A Puppy A Raw Diet

My puppy is getting ready to turn 9 weeks and I've been reading a lot about raw feeding. Would it be a good idea or bad idea? I hear about all of the health benefits, but one thing I'm worried about is him possibly choking on a bone, so should I wait until he's older? If not, what is the best way to feed a puppy? And the last question I have is after he finishes eating am I suppose to wait awhile before letting him lick on me because of the bacteria? So sorry if that might be a lot of questions.. Just trying to do what's best for my boy. Thanks for all answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Knighted Member

I feed a raw diet to my 3 month old puppy, she's a pro at eating raw meaty bones. I have zero issues. However you must must do your research before jumping in and feeding a raw diet to a puppy, it's so easy to feed an unbalanced raw diet and that could negatively impact a growing puppy. If you're on Facebook join the raw feeding community group there, it's a great resource for learning and they have lots of files on how to properly feed a raw diet.

I've never had an issue with bacteria.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

I worry about bones with my poodle so I feed mainly ground Delgado on the other hand loves crunching bones, sounds awful but haven't had a single issue

But definitely be cautious with a puppy and make sure your proportions are correct

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I worry about bones with my poodle so I feed mainly ground Delgado on the other hand loves crunching bones, sounds awful but haven't had a single issue

But definitely be cautious with a puppy and make sure your proportions are correct
My little dogs love bones! I mainly stick to chicken and duck bones though, no lamb or pork bones for them, just the big dogs etc.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
My little dogs love bones! I mainly stick to chicken and duck bones though, no lamb or pork bones for them, just the big dogs etc.
Jazzy is a princess, I got whole rabbit (head off, gutted) and offered her a leg. She sniffed, licked, and then walked away so I gave her about 90 minutes and two more tries then I pulled out her ground, she ate it right away. Same meat, just prepared differently

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Knighted Member

I started feeding my dog raw at nine weeks she's never had kibble in her entire life do your research and you will be fine Good luck

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Master Member

I feed raw with essentially zero actual bones. Everything is mush-like. The meat I buy is specifically prepared for dogs and contains ground bones and veggies. I also add substantial amounts of fresh ground veggies, omega-3 fish oil, raw eggs & ground eggshell, and any veggie/meat/fish food I don't finish.

If you avoid cooked chicken, choking on bones is generally not a big risk.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Bones with my senior is hit or miss so I cut up the chicken, bone and all, she eats it find that way.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page