Rottweiler Vs Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Rottweiler Vs Shepherd

Well today on a walk I came across this Rottweiler, she couldn't be no more than 6 months old. Instantly she starts reacting barking hard lunging pulling her owner. Her owner couldn't even finish a full sentence. I'm curious was she fearful protective or just looking for a fight ?

While this is going on my Bella just stood there looking not one single bark or reactive action came out of her. She didn't want to retrieve she didn't do anything but stand there and look. Now I'm worried, since Bella didn't react does that mean she won't protect her self ? Now I will always protect my dog before she even gets the chance to protect her own self no matter what I'm just curious to know. Or does this mean my dog is pretty confident ? Bella has a soft personality until someone comes close to my house that she doesn't know then she acts all tough. But when a dog barks and lunges at her she just sits there wagging her tail. I know I have a well behave shepherd I'm just curious how come my dog doesn't react back ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 PM

I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't think I'd want my dog barking and lunging back. The fact that she stood her ground, calm, and not fearful or aggressive, sounds like a very good thing to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Butters - 10/11/14
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Or maybe the rottie, being young and all was just excited (barking) and wanted to play (lunging) and Bella knew the pup wasn't a threat ?

Last edited by MishkasMom; 09-09-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't think I'd want my dog barking and lunging back. The fact that she stood her ground, calm, and not fearful or aggressive, sounds like a very good thing to me.
It is. You want a solid calm dog. A dog that reacts back is not a good thing in every day life. The Rottie needs work in this situation not the GSD.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishkasMom View Post
Or maybe the rottie, being young and all was just excited (barking) and wanted to play (lunging) and Bella knew the pup wasn't a threat ?
I don't think snarling is part of play like. This dog looked like it was ready to attack . I'm guess Bella knew it wasn't a threat
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Elite Member

Well done Bella! She's a dog you can be proud of.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:13 PM

I wish mine was acting as calm as Bella in that situation. You have a great dog.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:56 AM
Banned

WOW is the world getting crazy or what?? Your dog was perfect! I faced a similar situation except it was some type of Mastiff/Pitt huge and coming fast and off leash as was Rocky!

I told Rocky to "Stay" as I stepped in front of him to take the dog on! Rocky failed to stay "behind" me but instead stepped "next "to me to better see what the fuss was??? Or so I thought at the time!

I was ticked off because Rocky did not stay, but he stood right next to me and smiled in the charging dogs face!! That dog hits the brakes hard and sat down and smiled back!!

Most likely yet again Rocky saved me from stitches!! Because I "was" going to make a mountain out of a molehill!!

A dog comes charging at one of mine and I take it as a personal affront!! First, time he deescalated a situation with Fangs ready and that time he did it with a smile! (Sometimes my daddy has no common sense he must have know...I got this!)

Apparently he knew the "true" potential for trouble was not the dog...it was me! Long way of saying that "some" of us have better dogs than we know!

Don't compare her to the worst compare her to the best! You and she both "done good!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Knighted Member

ARGH. My normally calm puppy was being a nightmare like that Rottie on a walk last night. The possible difference was that her posturing and vocalizations were all playful, not hard barking.

She saw this random other dog playing with a lab on dropped leashes as we walked past and wanted so badly to join in, but she wasn't invited. So for the rest of the freaking walk, she had it into her head that this other dog should be approached to play. Had it been a normal sidewalk walk, I'd have just aborted mission and changed routes, but it was a lake trail so we were all going the same direction in a circle. And I was pretty close to the end of my circle, so turning around wasn't a great option either.

This other owner was...less than pleased despite the fact that I was clearly trying to use each episode as a teaching moment. Each time she pulled toward the other dog and puppy-yipped and play bowed, I corrected for pulling, distracted and created a visual block with my own body, and praised for an obeyed command (thankfully no matter how excited she is, "sit" is very reliable) before resuming a "let's walk" or "heel." That other dog's owner probably thought my GSD was a horrible uncontrolled dog. She gave me a lot of dirty looks - and I don't really blame her, how could she know my dog truly just wanted to play?

Good on Bella for responding so well! Hopefully the Rottie was also just having an off night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page