My neighbors called the police on my dog due to excesive barking - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Also when looking at bark collars, I would consider the fact that they can correct the dog at the wrong time. Some go by sound, so another loud noise could trigger the shock.
I've never heard of a bark collar being triggered by sound other than the dog who is wearing the collar barking. Never had that issue for my friends. Avoid cheap collars you can get at pet stores, and go on-line to get a good quality bark collar, like a Dogtra. That is what my friends had, and not even other dogs barking nearby triggered the collar, only the dog wearing the collar could trigger it.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 PM
Knighted Member

I believe it's the vibration of the bark that triggers the collar.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I've never heard of a bark collar being triggered by sound other than the dog who is wearing the collar barking. Never had that issue for my friends. Avoid cheap collars you can get at pet stores, and go on-line to get a good quality bark collar, like a Dogtra. That is what my friends had, and not even other dogs barking nearby triggered the collar, only the dog wearing the collar could trigger it.

I definitely agree with getting a high quality bark collar. I have a friend who used one (not sure what kind) and when the dog would yawn, it would vocalize as it yawned and that would trigger a correction. If that makes sense. I wasn't saying not to use one, just to do research and make sure to get a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I got cheap one from Wal-Mart years ago when Lucky was being especially annoying. It was triggered by the sound of "barking" and it emitted a high pitch tone that was supposed to interrupt the barking (so the dog could be redirect I suppose). It worked exactly once. Then it started going off any time the door was closed, someone sneezed or something was dropped in the sink. Gave up after a day and tossed it in the junk drawer. Then had to find it in the junk drawer to pull the battery because it would STILL go off. Thank god it wasn't a shock collar, just an annoying peep.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys, your comments have been very helpful. I'm gonna research about our county regulations. Definitely, the "my dog doesn't bark" attitude won't help us. However, I still thinking that calling the police on someone's dog before trying to talk with the owner was something below the belt LOL.

I'll be back home tonight, I'll let you guys know what really happened. I'm sure I'll bother you again with more questions about the collars.

PS: Do you know can I sort the replies by date? I would like to see the main post on top and then scroll down to the last reply.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
It also doesn't really matter if you live on land. Sometimes it's almost worse, because you DO have neighbors, they just aren't really close. But the remoteness makes for an echoey environment, and sometimes the barking is ALL your neighbors hear.
I have found this to be true! If I'm hanging out in town in someone's back yard, I'm hardly aware of dogs barking: there is enough background noise that it gets lost, and the buildings and fences and other stuff muffle the barking. I don't have any very close neighbours, but the little dog from across the street stands in the middle of the road and barks, barks, barks, barks, and it sounds like the sounds extremely close! Neighbours themselves probably don't hear it much, as their house is set back from the road, and their dogs (yes, dogs, the little one is the most annying though), are facing my place when barking.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Be sure, to take off that collar every night [actually best not to leave it on for more than 8 hours] and inspect the skin for breakdown. It needs to be snug to work and the pressure can cause sores on the skin followed by a nasty infection. Unlike a remote training collar you cannot rotate it to change where the points set.

I had a bad experience with the tritronics being set off by the dog yelping after the shock. Never had the problem with a Dogtra and even the Petsafe one seems good enough but it eats batteries, which are not cheap, while the Dogtra is rechargeable.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

What happened was: three families complained about excessive barking. They said that it starts very early in the morning and sometimes it lasted the whole night. The very early in the morning part is totally true. My mom wakes up at 6am and she always let the dogs out. They play for a couple of minutes (barking, growling, etc) and then they calm down.

The other part, you are not gonna believe it. Two weeks ago a tiny dog got lost and he came to our house. My mom kept him for 3 until she found the owners. My mom told me that the tiny dog barked all night during those three days. My dogs have never barked the entire night, but she couldn't make this little fella stop. So we are pretty sure that this is what happened. Additionally, Daka did bark during the 4th july weekend because of the fireworks. So I think that all this pissed my neighbors off.

The county gave us a warning, and they are gonna fine us if someone complains again. Nobody was home when the animal services guy went to our house, so they left the citation at the door. This guys told us: "I waited 15 minutes outside the gate and the GSD never stopped barking, so I guess it's true what your neighbors said" What was he expecting? Been invited in for a cup of coffee brewed by our protective german sherpherd?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Banned

If your dog doesn’t stop barking at stimuli, you have to be there to make it quiet down. My dogs will bark at things that go by the yard. They will also stop as soon as the thing removes itself from their view. They will also stop if I tell them to stop. But this is the biggest reason why the dogs are never outside without myself or my girlfriend being home. They are not allowed to bark for more than 30 seconds, not only is it annoying to our neighbors, it’s annoying to us. The dogs are therefore kept inside when we’re not home. These are also dogs which are trained to protect but are also therefore trained to listen and be able to turn off the vocalization. I also know that I live in a very safe neighborhood, so the likelihood my dogs are barking at a "real" threat in the middle of the day is close to zero. So they are not allowed to just bark at anything that walks by the house. 99.99999% of the time, it is not a threat that needs their attention, so us quieting them down is part training for them to realize when it is and isn't alright to bark.

If you have a privacy fence, this usually makes things worse for dogs. They can’t see what’s on the other side and will basically consider it a threat. So if it doesn’t leave, they will keep barking. I have a chain link fence, so when there is some sort of stimuli outside the yard, they will bark and also tend to stop when they realize their barking isn’t doing anything and the thing they’re barking at is not a threat. If the dogs weren’t able to see what they were barking at, they’d be much more likely to keep barking the whole time.

Most neighbors/people are actually more than likely to call the authorities on you rather than confront you personally because then there is less risk of retaliation/repercussion from you. If you don’t know who did it, you can’t “get them back.” It makes perfect sense. More than likely, you’re not going to get rid of your dog, so all that telling you would do is make you angry, like it has in this situation as you’re still not taking much responsibility for what your dog is doing and are instead choosing to rationalize how wrong your neighbors are in the situation.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Banned

My sister has a GSD that lives behind her. There is a fence separating her yard from the yard with the GSD. The GSD is let out in the early am and in the evening. He barks NONSTOP the entire hour to 2 hours he is left outside. It is the most obnoxious thing to hear. I feel for your neighbors.

If it was 3 families that called, you obviously have an issue that needs to be dealt with. If it was one neighbor, it could just be a matter of someone always wanting something to complain about, but 3 means there is an issue with your dog barking. Training is something you'll need to look into. And if your mother is going to be alone with your GSD for long periods of time, she needs to get in on the training as well.

Is the dog ever exercised? A lot of dogs will use barking as a means of releasing pent up energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page