Ear Infection - Any Oral Antibiotics? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Ear Infection - Any Oral Antibiotics?

Well, my Zeus has another ear infection. We're planning to take him to the vet to have them put antibiotic gauze in his ear under sedation because he simply won't tolerate us putting anything into his ears.

It costs real money to do this. So, we've been extremely careful not to take him to the lake or get water in his ears when we bathe him.

The last time I brought this up we got a lot of great suggestions about conditioning him to ear drops and so on and so forth. Thanks, but he simply won't tolerate it.

So, before I go to the vet I want to ask again if there might be something out there in an oral pill form that could be used to clear up ear infections. This going to the vet all the time for this problem is getting pretty darned expensive.

Longfisher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Not really. Topical is best. There are adjunctive oral therapies depending on the type of infection yeast or bacterial. Often with a bad bacterial infection and oral antibiotic can be used. There are anti yeast meds, but they are very tough on dogs and can cause significant issues.

There is a long lasting ointment. BNT ointment that is used. But if your dog really won't allow people to touch his ears, then it would require sedation.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Zymox HCL is the best I've found, and is available without prescription.

About the dog not tolerating it: I have one that hatred ear drops for a long time because they were painful. Zymox is not. Sometimes we have to do things dogs don't like for their health. Continue the classical conditioning with the drops. Figure out how to make it happen.

I can post a picture of how to restrain a dog so they can't move if you need it.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

Zymoc Otic is awesome! Here's where I bought it, only thing that cleared up Lena's ears...

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-King-Enzymatic-Solution-Ounces/dp/B0025YOJXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429025264&sr=8-1&keywords=zymox+otic
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Zymox HCL is the best I've found, and is available without prescription.

About the dog not tolerating it: I have one that hatred ear drops for a long time because they were painful. Zymox is not. Sometimes we have to do things dogs don't like for their health. Continue the classical conditioning with the drops. Figure out how to make it happen.

I can post a picture of how to restrain a dog so they can't move if you need it.
Please do so.

Is Zymox an oral antibiotic or ear drops?

Longfisher
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfisher View Post
Please do so.

Is Zymox an oral antibiotic or ear drops?

Longfisher
Topical ear drops.

I'll take a picture in a bit.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Longfisher!
A few thoughts:

If he is having recurring ear infections, he could have yeast issues.
What are you feeding? If you change to a food without grains and without brewer’s yeast, it could help. Grains break down into sugar in the dogs body and this sugar can supply nourishment for the yeast overgrowth causing ear infections, skin or gut problems.

A Digestive Enzyme/Probiotic can also help. Here are two quality products:
*Sunday Sundae: http://ineedthat.corecommerce.com/Sunday-Sundae.html

*Digest All +: Wholistic Digest All Plus? - Digestive Support - Canine

There are also some Homeopathic's that could help. If you are interested, you can pm me.

Hope your Fur Baby gets better!
Moms
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Hi Longfisher!
A few thoughts:

If he is having recurring ear infections, he could have yeast issues.
What are you feeding? If you change to a food without grains and without brewer’s yeast, it could help. Grains break down into sugar in the dogs body and this sugar can supply nourishment for the yeast overgrowth causing ear infections, skin or gut problems.

A Digestive Enzyme/Probiotic can also help. Here are two quality products:
*Sunday Sundae: http://ineedthat.corecommerce.com/Sunday-Sundae.html

*Digest All +: Wholistic Digest All Plus? - Digestive Support - Canine

There are also some Homeopathic's that could help. If you are interested, you can pm me.

Hope your Fur Baby gets better!
Moms
He only has ear infections when his ears get dunked. He's 2.5 years now and he's only had them three times.

First time was when we allowed him to swim in the local lake, which he loves.

Second time, my wife got water in his ears while bathing him. She's so stubborn about wanting to wash his face and we've actually had near knock down drag out fights about her doing this as its so detrimental to the animal when he gets ear infections.

I've had to forbid her from bathing him. Now I do it. Who cares is his head's not clean when the rest of him is?

This time we think he dunked his own head in his play pool going after one of his toys in the water that had sunk to the bottom of the pool.

He's at the vet now. I reminded them of his previous visits and how problematic he can be when confronted by several techs he doesn't know. In the past, they've had to sedate him.

Today they didn't believe me when I told them that he was so powerful they'd never be able to hold him down, even though they've seen this dog before. The tech said, "I'd be very surprised if we can't treat his ears." I told him that him getting a surprise was a foregone conclusion if he didn't sedate the dog.

10 minutes of hearing the sounds of a fight and after one tech after another was called from the front desk to the back they came out and said I was right. He needed to be sedated.

I'd already given him some happy pills before we took him to the vet.

I must admit that it breaks my heart every time I have to take him there. I know it's like torture for him. And, one day it's sure to remake his character into something awful.

At present, he's the most loving, dedicated dog around us. And, his puppy aloofness with other people on the street is wearing off too. He's quite approachable now.

But the second he sees the vet's office he's nervous and drooling and breathing fast. And, he looks at me with the most condemning eyes when I make him come into the vets office.

I fear his life will be shortened only because of his hatred of the vet. Any suggestions. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope on taking him to the vet.

LF
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:43 PM

Hers a pic of how I restrain a dog.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...414_194119.jpg

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

l also use the zymox for Onyx....it soothes her ears immediately and only one treatment per day is needed. It works for both yeast and bacterial infections. This is what I buy, as she has chronic ear issues due to her allergies. Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone (1.0%) - Clinic Size (8oz)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page